Intro: How to Make Puff Pastry Egg Tarts
In this instructable I will show you how you can make puff pastry egg tarts. These tarts are a festive breakfast or lunch dish and is something different than your usual bacon and eggs. So if you have some (left over) puff pastry in the freezer, give these a try.
If you want to make the perfect indent in puff pastry the trick is to use something with weight and back the puff pastry for a couple of minutes in the oven. We can buy perfect squares of puff pastry in the store with makes this recipe even easier but it also works with a long sheet of puff pastry.
As long as you use an oven proof cup or bowl and set it in the middle of your puff pastry the edges with be able to rise around the cup and create an indent. This is all you need to prevent the egg from running out of your puff pastry. Sometimes it helps if you use a fork and pinch the pastry but with a bowl you can’t go wrong.
Step 1: Overview
To make the puff pastry egg tarts you need the following ingredients: puff pastry, egg, streaky bacon, sun dried tomatoes. fresh scallions and chives. To make sure the egg will not run outside of the puff pastry use some aluminium foil and fold up the edges.
Pre-heat your oven at 400F and put 3 squares of puff pastry on a baking tray on top of parchment paper. If you only have a sheet of puff pastry cut them in equal squares. Then put a small oven proof cup or bowl right in the middle of your puff pastry squares.
Place the baking tray in the middle of your oven for 6 minutes. The puff pastry with swell up around the bowl. Take the baking tray out of the oven and remove the bowls. The bowls will leave an indent in the puff pastry. Take some sun dried tomatoes and streaky bacon and place them in the indent.
Now crack an egg in the indent and return the baking tray into the oven for 14 minutes so the eggs will cook and the puff pastry will get golden brown. Take out of the oven and decorate with some scallions and fresh cut chives. Serve straight away.
Step 2: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the puff pastry egg tarts? Then watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make three puff pastry egg tarts you need the following ingredients:
- 3 squares of defrosted puff pastry
- 3 eggs
- 6 sun dried tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cut chives
Step 4: Instructions
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Lay puff pastry squares on the parchment. Place a small oven safe cup in the center of each puff pastry square.
- Bake puff pastry with the cups for 6 minutes until pastry has puffed up around the edges but have not gone brown yet.
- Take the baking tray out of the oven and remove the cups. You will see a small indent in each puff pastry square.
- Place 2 pieces of sun dried tomato and a strip of streaky oven baked bacon in the indent before cracking one egg into the indent of each square.
- Return the backing tray to oven for 12-14 minutes until eggs have set and puff pastry has lightly browned.
- Season eggs with salt, pepper and decorate with fresh cut chives .
- Serve immediately.
Step 5: Notes
If you like your eggs well done, leave them in for 2 more minutes. Want your eggs more runny take 2 minutes less cooking time.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.