- Sambar powder is flavourful south indian style coarse textured powder prepared by grinding various types of basic indian spices
- This powder can be prepared in large quantity and stored in airtight container and can be used for making delicious south indian sambar
These are measurements which i gave for each and every ingredient.If you want to make powder in large quantity just double the measurements given below
- Half cup coriander seeds
- Two tablespoon bengal gram
- Two tablespoon split black gram
- One tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 20 dry red chillies
- Handful of curry leaves
- One teaspoon pepper powder
- Half tespoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asoefetida
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Dry Roast Coriander Seeds
- We need to dry roast all ingredients one by one on low flame
- First take a pan and when is heated add half cup coriander seeds and dry roast till they change little color and you get nice aroma
- Remove coriander seeds from pan and transfer them to plate and cool them
Step 2: Dry Roast Remaining Ingredients
- To same pan add 2 tablespoon split black gram,2 tablespoon bengal gram, one tablespoon cumin seeds,1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds as shown in my image and saute all of them on low flame till they change light brown color
- Remove the sauted ingredients and transfer to plate and cool them
Step 3: Dry Roast Red Chillies and Curry Leaves
- Now to sam e pan add 20 dry red chillies and hand full of curry leaves.You can add pepper corns or pepper powder and dry roast till chillies become crisp.
- Add half teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/4 teaspoon asoefetida
Step 4: Cool All Sauted Ingredients
Transfer all sauted ingredients to plate and cool them
Step 5: Transfer All Sauted Ingredients to Blender and Blend to Powder
Transfer all sauted ingredients to blender and blend to fine powder
Step 6: Store in Airtight Container
-Store in airtight container. This can be used to prepare sambar.
- For making sambar just pressure cook dal and vegetables and add this powder