In this instructable I will show you how to make shredded tender brisket beef fajitas.It is slow cooked with a beautiful rub to enhance the flavours of the brisket.
Fajitas is an all time crowd pleaser from the Tex-Mex and Mexican kitchen. The main ingredients are beef, vegetables, tortillas and some salsa. Fajitas are usually made with grilled beef but in this instructable I decided to use slow cooked beef. I do not have a slow cooker but this can be easily simulated in the oven by putting a Dutch oven in the oven.
When making fajitas, start of with some good quality brisket. Besides the meat what is essential to good fajitas is the rub. You can buy fajitas seasoning but it's more delicious to make your own rub. It is very easy to do yourself. It contains. Chili powder, Cilantro powder, Cumin powder, Garlic powder, Fresh grounded black pepper and a pinch of salt. Just mix these ingredients thoroughly and apply to the meat and rub it with your fingers in the meat or with a spoon. Let the meat rest for about 15 minutes before you bake the brisket in some vegetable oil.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the shredded tender brisket beef fajitas? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
For making the fajitas rub you need:
- 1 teaspoon of Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of Cilantro powder
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon of Garlic powder
- Fresh grounded black pepper
- A pinch of salt
For making the fajitas you need:
- 500 grams of brisket beef
- ½ onion for the brisket
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of grounded ginger
- ½ cup of sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of water
- 4 flour tortillas. You can use store-bought flour tortillas are make them yourself by following this instructable.
- ½ onion
- ½ bell pepper
Step 3: Instructions
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven.
- Make the rub and put it on the brisket. Let the beef rest for about 15 minutes.
- Brown the brisket beef in the pan about 5 minutes per side.
- When all sides are nice and golden take it out of the pan.
- Pre heat the oven at 480℉/250℃.
- Add the onion to the meat juice and stir.
- Then the garlic and the ginger. Stir some more.
- Now the water and the soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Return the brisket into the Dutch oven and close the lid.
- Put the Dutch oven in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Turn the brisket at about 45 minutes and add some water until the brisket is almost under water.
- When done at 90 minutes check if the brisket is tender else add 30 more minutes.
- If cooking time is extended add some water again and turn the beef. Check after 15 minutes and turn the beef once more before taking the Dutch oven out of the oven.
- Fry the remaining bell pepper and bell pepper in a skillet.
- Warm the tortillas in a warm skillet.
- Shred the brisket on a separate plate. Take a tortilla and add some tender brisket beef, bell pepper, onion, salsa and guacamole.
Step 4: Notes
Add some smooth roasted tomato salsa (see instructable) or guacamole (see instructable) and some bell peppers and onion to complete your shredded tender brisket beef fajitas. You can also add some sour creme, shredded cheese or jalapeños on top of the beef brisket.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.