Intro: How to Make Simple Flour Tortillas 4 Ingredients
In this instructable, I will show you how to make Flour Tortillas with four ingredients. Flour tortialles are easy to make, just about as easy as homemade corn tortillas (see our previous instructable). However they are not gluten free so beware if you have gluten intolerance. I like to use biological spelt flour in this recipe because I like the taste of it, but any white or whole wheat flour will do just nicely.
What I love about flour tortilla is that they are so versatile and can be used in many different ways. They are obviously the base of the Mexican kitchen, e.g. for quesadillas, but they are also used in Argentina e.g. for fajitas. Furthermore flour tortillas can be used for breakfast, lunch and dinner
As with the corn tortillas start with quality flour, salt, hot water and as the 4th ingredient some oil. Any olive oil will do but vegetable or sunflower oil also work really well. I use biological sunflower oil as it is one of my favorite oils. Knead the dough thoroughly and let it rest (30 minutes is enough). Split it up in smaller dough balls (approx. 8) and roll them with a rolling pin on a floured serves.
A full instruction and downloadable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 1 cup of spelt flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour (you can decide to use only spelt or all-purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive oil or sunflower oil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup warm water
Step 2: Instructions
- Put the flour in a bowl.
- Add salt.
- Add ½ a cup of warm water and stir. Add the remaining water until consistent.
- Add the 2 tbsp of oil and need the dough until it is smooth and consistent.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide into eight small balls and roll them on a floured service with a rolling pin.
- Warm a pan or griddle medium or high.
- Bake the tortilla for about a minute per side or until it bubbles up and has nice brown patches.
Step 3: Notes
You can store them in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag and they are ready to eat for about a week. Or freeze them in the freezer.