In this instructable I will show you how to make soft savory Roti with Dahl filling. Roti is a dish that is very common in the Surinam and Indian kitchen as this dish is originally from India. Making roti is not difficult but has a number of steps. We make roti with dahl filling but you can also make roti with potato filling or without any filling and then it is just a regular tortilla again.
The base of roti is self raising flour or flour with baking soda and baking powder added separately. Off course water and salt. Dahl filling is made of yellow split peas that need to be cooked. I opted for the yellow split pea flower. With hot water it is the same result as cooking the yellow split peas until soft and then cook with a chili pepper mix.
In order to have soft roti you should use oil when you cook the roti. Flip regularly and keep them warm underneath a fresh kitchen towel. These are so good you can eat them all by them selves. Just try you will see I am right.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 250 g of self-raising flower
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 150 ml of hot water
- flour for dusting the counter top
- 70 g of yellow split pea flower or 70 grams of yellow split peas
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon kurkuma
- 1 Chili pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 shallot
Step 2: Instructions
- Combine the self-raising flour, salt, baking powder and water.
- Stir the mixture.
- Knead the mixture with your hands into a cohesive dough.
- Let is rest for 1 hour.
- For the Dahl filling.
- Add hot water to the yellow split pea flower and stir thoroughly.
- Add the Kurkuma and stir again.
- Let is rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Add the clove of garlic, pepper, shallot in a mortar and pestle. Grind until a soft paste starts to form.
- Add the cumin and grind so more. Then set aside.
- Bake the pepper mixture shortly and add the Dahl until almost all the moisture has evaporated (do not make it to dry).
- Shape the dahl into small balls.
- Take the dough and knead thoroughly. Divide into 4 to 5 balls the size of a large golfball.
- Take the roti ball and add the dahl filling in the middle of the dough ball. Close the dough around the dahl and then roll the roti on a dusted counter top.
- Heat pan and bake the roti without oil.
- Wait for the roti to rise then start brushing the roti with oil and turn.
- Brush the back side with oil as well.
- Turn regularly until light brown patches appear and then you are done.
Step 3: Notes
Make certain there is enough moisture in the dahl. Else the center of the roti will become very hard.
If you want to store them, these deep freeze really well so you can make a batch and store for future use.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some questions or suggestions then let me know via the comments.