Introduction: How to Make Soft Vegan Flatbread
In this instructable I will show you how to make flavorsome soft vegan flatbread. It is easy to make and only requires 4 ingredients. It doesn’t contain any yeast or baking soda. I use a kitchen machine to knead the dough but you can do it by hand as well.
You can eat flatbread with for example a (spicy) curry or stew The flatbread remains nice and soft. You can eat it directly, keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or freeze them and use when needed.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Overview
To make the flatbread, you start with 300 grams of all purpose flour and add ½ teaspoon of salt in a bowl or the kitchen machine. Then take 175 ml of unsweetened almond milk (if you are non vegan you can use regular milk) and put it on the stove and add 50 grams of vegan butter. Warm slowly to dissolve the butter (do not boil the milk). As soon as the butter is dissolved take the milk from the heat.
Add the milk mixture to the flour. Turn on your kitchen machine or knead it through by hand until you have an elastic dough. In the kitchen machine this takes about 2 to 3 minutes by hand this will take more like 10 minutes. Take the dough out of the kitchen machine and flour your board to knead the dough through by hand. Wrap in foil and let it rest for about 30 to 40 at room temperature. The gluten in the dough are now activated.
After an ample rest period take the dough out of the foil and knead the dough with some flour. Then slice the dough into 6 pieces to get medium sized (8 inch) flatbread or 4 pieces for large (10 inch) flatbread or 10 pieces for small (6 inch) flatbread.
Flour the board and roll the flatbread into a round shape, be aware not too thin. I love to cook with a cast iron skillet and recommend anyone to get one and heat it on medium to high heat. Use some vegetable or olive oil and brush your skillet. Bake the flatbread until you see brown patches and bubbles on the flatbread. Bake for 2 minutes and turn the flatbread to bake for another 2 minutes. Then the flatbread is done. You can brush some oil and finely chopped garlic to turn it into garlic flatbread.
Step 2: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the flavorsome soft vegan flatbread? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 2 cups / 300 gram of plain flour (plus some additional flour to flour the board for rolling the dough)
- ½ teaspoon of salt.
- 50 grams of vegan /vegetable butter.
- 175 ml of unsweetened almond milk.
- Vegetable oil for backing.
Step 4: Instructions
- Put flour and salt in the kitchen machine.
- Melt butter and combine with milk.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and salt.
- Let kitchen machine run to combine into an elastic dough.
- Knead the dough by hand for a couple of minutes.
- Wrap in foil and let it rest for at least 30-40 minutes.
- Knead the dough on a floured board before cutting into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll with a rolling pin into tortilla shaped circles of about 8 inch. Do not roll to thin.
- Heat a skillet with some sunflower oil or olive oil.
- Bake the flatbread about 2 minutes per side. The flatbread should get brown patches and you will see bubbles appear. Turn and bake the other side.
- Ready to serve.
Step 5: Notes
You can eat the flatbread with for example a nice vegetable curry or stew.
You can store the flatbread temporarily in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or freeze them and use when needed.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.