Introduction: How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Shortcake. It's a cute doll, and a delicious dessert that everybody knows. But, do you know how to make it? If you want to make a yummy snack, or a delicious desert for your next dinner party, you are in the right spot! This recipe uses a warm strawberry sauce that adds moisture to the traditional Strawberry Shortcake to make it sooo much better! It has only a few ingredients which is really convenient and well everybody knows, sometimes less is more! The best part about this Instructable is that the sauce is super versatile! You can use it on pancakes, waffles, or over ice cream! The possibilities are truly endless! Lets make some Strawberry Shortcake!
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- pound cake
- whipped cream
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Strawberry Sauce
- Cut the stems off your strawberries and then slice them.
- Add the strawberries, water and sugar into a saucepan and bring to a rapid boil. Boil the mixture until the strawberries are tender. I used really ripe strawberries so they only boiled for about 3 minutes. If your strawberries are more firm, it make take a few more minutes to soften.
- Drain the liquid out of the sauce into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl add 1/3 of the cooked strawberries and mash them into a puree. Set the remaining strawberries aside.
- Return the liquid and puree into the sauce pan and boil for about 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced in half. It should be loose, but a lot thicker than the water you first started with.
- Mix the remaining strawberries and the reduced sauce in a bowl. Your strawberry sauce is complete!
NOTE: You can serve the sauce hot or refrigerate it if you prefer it cold. The sauce with thicken a bit more once it's been cooled.
Step 2: Pound Cake Preparation
- Take a loaf of pound cake and slice it into 1/2 in slices.
- Put 1-2 slices of pound cake onto a plate.
- Using a slotted spoon, add chunks of strawberries to the center of the pound cake.
- Top the strawberries with some sauce (as much as you like!) and make sure to drizzle some around for a beautiful presentation!
Step 3: Spice Up Your Presentation!
If your throwing a dinner party, or making something special for your honey, presentation is key! Make your Strawberry Shortcake scream elegance by making it into a parfait in a wine glass!
- Dice the pound cake into cubes.
- Add a layer of pound cake into a wine glass.
- Top the pound cake with strawberry chunks and a little whipped cream.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3, and add extra sauce on top.
- Finish with a topping of whipped cream.
Step 4: Final Touches
- Top the cake and strawberries with a touch of whipped cream.
- EAT and ENJOY! The warm strawberries, sweet sauce, and fluffy whipped cream bring even a basic pound cake to the next level!
Participated in the
Snacks Contest 2016