I show how to make a ball made of string that can be used as a Christmas ornament or decoration. The materials are fairly common and are white glue, string, small plastic container, and balloons. The balloon is used to make the shape of the ball. Water balloons make a better circle then regular balloons. It is not difficult to make but it does require patients. You can make it from almost any kind of string except synthetic string like nylon; I find that cotton string works best. The color and texture can be whatever combination you want. A small light can be put inside the ornament to make a sphere of illumination that looks interesting with the gaps in the string. If you want to make it larger it can become a chandelier or lampshade.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
- White Glue
- A Needle
- Small Plastic Container
Step 2: Instructions
- Inflate the balloon to the desired size and wrap string around.
- Criss-cross the string until it’s evenly covered.
- Dab glue over the string to make sure it’s saturated.
- Wait for it to completely dry.
- Remove the balloon by popping it and pushing it away from the sides.
- Add glitter or sparkles if desired.
Step 3: Watch the Video
(The video may not show up for mobile viewers)
Participated in the
Homemade Gifts Contest