Traditional Japanese dish consisting of fried dumplings with octopus in the center, adapted to be made at home without mold
Step 1: Dough
- 120 ml -Chicken soup
- ½ tsp -Baking powder
- 40 gr -Soft flour
- 160 gr -Hard flour
- ⅙ -Cabbage
- 20 -Small Chives
- 2 -Leek
- 1 lb -Octopus
- ½ lb -Shrimp
- Seaweed nori
- Chopped small chives
- You can buy the chicken soup prepared or if you want to prepare it yourself.
- Wash the vegetables (leeks, cabbage, etc) and chopped them.
- In a pot put water on the stove and wait until it boils, turn off the fire then add the shrimp and octopus wait for it to cool and cut the octopus in regular pieces.
- In a bowl mix the hard flour, soft flour, baking powder, vegetable and chicken soup, add more chicken soup until get desired consistency.
Step 2: Making Balls
- Extend the dough with a thickness of 2 cm approximately and cut in small pieces about 3 x 3 cm.
- Take a piece of dough in a middle put the octopus or shrimp
- Wrap the octopus or shrimp with the dough making balls.
- Note: Use flour on your hands to prevent the dough from getting sticked on you.
Step 3: Cooking
- Put oil on a pot and then get it to a temperature high enough to cook the takoyaki balls
- Take a ball and put it in the pot
- Wait for it to get brown on all the surface and remove it from the pot
- Put the brown balls in a bowl with paper napkins to remove the oil remnants
Step 4: Sauce
Takoyaki’s Sauce option 1 ingredients:
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp. Barbecue
Takoyaki’s Sauce option 2 ingredients:
- 1 tbsp Yakisoba sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Honey
Yakisoba sauce ingredients:
- 4 tsp English sauce
- 4 tsp Ketchup
- 3 tsp Oyster
- 3 tsp Soy sauce
- 4 tsp Brown sugar
Step 5: Setting the Takoyaki
- Take six balls in a plate
- Add one or more of the takoyaki sauces in the top of all the six balls
- In the top add the mayonnaise
- Add seaweed nori and the chives
- It’s ready!