Introduction: How to Make Tasty Vegetarian Falafel
In this instruction I show you how to make tasty falafel. Falafel is a vegetarian dish that doesn’t even make you miss meat, You might think it takes a lot of effort to make but let me assure you that is not the case. Some overnight patients and a blender or kitchen machine are the main ingredients and doing all the hard work.
What is great about falafel is that is has real texture. It is something you can bite in very similar to meat. You can make tasty falafel with canned chickpeas but if you want more flavour and texture I recommend to use dried chickpeas. Take 250 grams of dried chickpeas and but them in a bowl of water. Soak them overnight so you can use the chickpeas the next day. The chickpeas will double in weight after they are soaked in water.
Falafal is great to eat in combination with soft flour tortillas (see our instructable) as shown in the video. Combined with a soft flour tortilla it makes a great lunch dish. To add extra flavor you can put some garlic saus on top or a red salsa.
For more information and printable recipe take a look at The Tortilla Channel.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 250 grams of dried chickpeas or two tins of canned chickpeas
- 1 onion
- 1 red shallot
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili pepper (whole including the seeds)
- 1½ tablespoon cumin powder
- 1½ tablespoon coriander powder
- Fresh chives
- Sunflower oil
Step 2: Instructions
- Soak the dried chickpeas overnight. The chickpeas will double in size and weight.
- Drain the chickpeas and remove the skin. If you use canned chickpeas drain them.
- Put the chickpeas in a blender or kitchen machine.
- Add the whole chili pepper including seeds, red shallot, onion, parsley powder, cumin powder, coriander powder.
- Blend the ingredients together and stir if necessary.
- Add the chives and blend some more. Be careful not to over blend.
- Make small patties with a spoon. This amount will be good for 16 to 20 falafel.
- Heat sunflower oil in medium to hot pan.
- Fry the falafel for a couple of minutes before turning them over and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Let the falafel drain on kitchen paper.
Step 3: Notes
Eat the falafel with soft flour tortillas and red saus.
You can keep the falafel in the refrigerator for a couple of days but a couple of months in the freezer. Put it in an airtight container or bag.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.