Intro: How to Make Three Types of Salsa
This process teaches a recipe for standard and simple salsa called Pico de Gallo. It also includes two recipes which are built from the standard salsa, one being guacamole, and one is a mango salsa. No thorough background information on making salsa is necessary. Access to kitchen utensils and produce is needed. The goal of this recipe is to be accessible to beginning salsa makers.
Step 1: Materials Needed
·1 chef’s knife
·3 mixing bowls (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large)
·1/3 measuring cup
·Paper towels (optional for cleaning)
·2 large tomatoes
·a bundle of cilantro
·1 ½ limes
·2 pinches of salt
·2 cloves of garlic
·1 avocado (for guacamole)
·1 mango (for mango salsa)
Step 2: Before You Begin...
-Wash hands with warm water and soap before handling food.
Step 3: Making the Base Salsa (Pico De Gallo)
1. Dice tomatoes. (See Video if needed after reading the instructions) Place tomato on cutting board and remove the stem with the knife. Discard the stem. Use knife to cut tomato directly down the center to make two halves. Place one half of the tomato on the cutting board with flat side facing down. Cut the tomato from left to right creating slices. Take half of these slices and stack them. Cut this stack of slices again in the same direction, resulting in long strips of tomatoes. Then, cut these strips perpendicular to make diced tomato pieces. Take the other stack and repeat the process. Repeat this whole process for one more tomato.
2. Put the diced tomatoes into the largest bowl.
3. Dice onion. Place onion on cutting board with two stems facing to the sides. Cut each stem off of the onion with the knife. Peel outer most layer of onion. Discard outer layer and stems. Place onion on either flat side. Cut onion in half. Place half of the onion on its freshly-cut side and thinly slice with knife. Then stack the slices and repeat slicing process across. (If smaller diced onion pieces are preferred, cut them smaller using your knife). Repeat process for the second half of the onion.
4. Add the diced onion in the bowl with the diced tomatoes.
5. Dice cilantro. Gather four stalks of cilantro and place on cutting board. Repeat process of dicing from stem to leaves on the cilantro.
6. Add cilantro in the bowl with the diced onion and tomatoes.
7. Dice garlic. Place garlic clove on cutting board. Crush the clove with the flat side of the knife blade. Peel away outer layer of clove. Discard the outer layer. Dice the inside of the clove.
8. Add diced garlic in the bowl with the other ingredients.
9. Cut lime in half. Hold the outer skin over the largest bowl and squeeze firmly to release lime juice.
10. Put a pinch of salt into bowl of ingredients.
11. Stir thoroughly with spoon.
-Get two other bowls for the mango salsa and guacamole. Scoop out 2/3 cup of base salsa into medium bowl for mango salsa. Scoop 1/3 cup of base salsa into small bowl for guacamole.
Step 4: Making the Mango Salsa
1. Obtain the medium bowl with 2/3 cup base salsa.
2. Dice Mango. Begin with peeling the outside of the entire mango with the knife. Once peeled, cut off the stem with a single cut to make a flat end on the mango. Place mango’s flat end on the cutting board and begin to to cut slices from the sides. Continue cutting slices on all sides until all that remains is the seed. Discard the seed. Take each slice and cut vertically and horizontally until mango is diced.
3. Add diced mango into medium bowl.
4. Hold the second half of the lime’s outer skin over the medium bowl and squeeze firmly in order to release the juice.
5. Stir thoroughly with spoon.
Step 5: Making the Guacamole
1. Obtain the smallest bowl with 1/3 cup base salsa.
2. Cut avocado. (See Video if needed after reading the instructions) Cut into the avocado until the knife hits the avocado pit. Flip the avocado on the cutting board to create a single cut all the way around the avocado, resulting in two halves. Hold each half of the avocado and rotate in opposite directions to separate the halves from each other. Lodge the blade of the knife into the avocado pit. Rotate the knife to dislodge it from the inside of the avocado. Discard the pit. Run the knife between the skin of the avocado and the meat. Then peel the skin away from the meat of the avocado and discard the skin.
3. Place meat of avocado in smallest bowl with ⅓ cup base salsa.
4. Mash the avocado with a fork until it is an even consistency.
5. Place lime on cutting board. Cut lime in half. Hold the outer skin over the smallest bowl and squeeze firmly to release lime juice.
6. Dice garlic. Place garlic clove on cutting board. Crush the clove with the flat side of the knife blade. Peel away outer layer of clove. Discard the outer layer. Repeat process of dicing the inside of the clove.
7. Add diced garlic into the smallest bowl.
8. Add a pinch of salt.
9. Stir thoroughly.