In this instructable I will show you how you can make a tomato feta frittata. Frittata is originally an Italian recipe that was born out of poverty made with left over vegetables and pasta. The tomato feta frittata is made with eggs, fresh vegetables, cheese and some meat. It takes you less than 20 minutes to make and you can make it ahead. You can eat it for breakfast or lunch.
Step 1: Overview
To make the frittata you need the following ingredients: eggs, white onion, red onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, scallion, salami, shredded cheese, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste.
Put the eggs in a bowl and whisk. Set aside. Heat a cast iron skillet before you sauté the vegetables. The secret to the best tomato feta frittata is a cast iron skillet and a hot oven. The frittata will cook in the oven so you need a pan that is heat resistant that is why a cast iron skillet is the ideal pan for this tomato feta frittata.
Pre heat the oven at 400℉/200℃. Heat the skillet over high heat and put some oil into it. Pan fry the bell peppers, white and red onions until soft and translucent. Then add the cherry tomatoes. Stir them through the pan until they are soft.
Now it is time to include the salami and let is flavor the vegetables. Lastly add the mushrooms and stir. Make sure the skillet is evenly covered with the vegetables when you pour the whisked eggs into the pan. Let it set while you sprinkle the scallion on the frittata, the feta and grated cheese. Season it with salt and pepper.
Put the cast iron skillet in the oven and let your tomato feta frittata cook for 15-17 minutes or until all of the egg is dried and has puffed up. Cut the frittata in 8 wedges and serve with some baguette or a fresh salad.
Step 2: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the tomato feta frittata? Then watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 white onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 8 halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Feta cheese
- 1 diced scallion
- 2 tablespoons of sliced salami
- ½ shredded cheese
- 8 sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 4: Instructions
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Pre heat the oven at 400℉/200℃.
- Heat a cast iron skillet. Sautee the bell peppers, white and red onions until soft and translucent. Then add the cherry tomatoes.
- Include the salami and lastly add the mushrooms and stir.
- Make sure the skillet is evenly covered with the vegetables when you pour the whisked eggs into the pan Let it the egg set and sprinkle the scallion, the feta and grated cheese on the frittata.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Put the cast iron skillet in the oven and let tomato feta frittata cook for 15-17 minutes or until all of the egg is dried and has puffed up.
- Cut the frittata in 8 wedges and serve.
Step 5: Notes
Some options to variate:
- Potato – turn it into an all vegetable version and exclude the salami and add some boiled sliced potatoes. Let it sautee before you add the egg.
- Bacon – instead of salami you can add some oven baked bacon cut into small pieces.
- More vegetables – add shredded carrot, zucchini or broccoli.
- Pasta – have some leftover cold pasta just like with the original frittata you can add it in this recipe.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.