In this instructable I will show you how to make crunchy tortilla Tostada with tuna. The tortilla tostadas are a great dish for lunch or Sunday brunch. Not only do they look delicious but they also taste delicious. With lots of vegetables in the roasted tomato salsa and brown beans and tuna and avocado and egg and guacamole.
The base of the tostada is a tortilla and there a multiple ways to get them all nice and crunchy:
- Fry them in a pan with hot oil. The tortilla will get crunchy rather fast like at max a minute per side. Drain the excess oil on a paper towel.
- Put a tortilla in the microwave between two paper towels and heat them on high for about a minute. Then another minute without the top paper towel.
- Bake them in the oven. First brush a layer of cooking spray (which I used) or oil on the tortilla front and back. Then bake in the oven at 350℉/175℃ for about 10 minutes (turn at the 5 minutes time mark).
Then you have like a million options to dress the tostada completely to your liking. For these crunchy tortilla tostada with tuna I used some of my favorites. Here the list of all the toppings:smooth roasted tomato salsa (see instructable), guacamole (see instructable), mashed brown beans, tuna, egg, iceberg lettuce, corn, cheese.
The mashed brown beans are very easy to make. First fry the onion then add brown beans and about a cup of water. Stir and then add a teaspoon of paprika and a teaspoon of cumin. Let it simmer on medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Take of the heat. Secure about 30 brown beans for decorating purposes. Then transfer all the brown beans into a bowl and mash the brown beans with at fork. They are ready to use as topping on the tostadas.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make crunchy tortilla Tostada with tuna? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 2 flour tortillas. You can use storebought tortillas or homemade (see instructable).
- 1 small can of brown beans (340 grams).
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- ½ onion.
- 1 cup of water.
- 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- 1 can of tuna (80 grams).
- 1 cup of smooth roasted tomato salsa. You can use storebought salsa or homemade (see instructable).
- ½ cup of guacamole. You can use storebought guacamole or homemade (see instructable).
- ½ avocado
- Iceberg lettuce for decorating.
- 30 brown beans for decorating.
- ½ cup of grated cheese.
Step 3: Instructions
- Boil the egg (I boil them for 7 minutes so they are medium hard), drain and put into cold water.
- Slice half of the avocado in thin slices.
- Heat a small pan with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- First add the onion and fry them until soft and transparent. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Then add the brown beans, the paprika and then the cumin and stir through before adding the cup of water.
- Let the beans get to the boil.
- Stir and reduce the heat to medium to let the brown beans simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Take the beans of the heat. Drain the brown beans preserving about 30 brown beans for decorating and transfer to a bowl.
- Mash the brown beans.
- Preheat the oven at 350℉/175℃.
- Spray the tortillas with cooking spray or vegetable oil on both sides.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes (turn at about 5 minutes in the oven).
- Start plating the tostada and start with the smooth roasted tomato salsa.
- Then the mashed brown beans before adding the avocado and a tbsp of guacamole.
- Drain the can of tuna from liquid and put about half of it on the tostada.
- Decorate with cheese, corn, lettuce and brown beans.
- Ready to serve.
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.