Intro: How to Make Turkish Yufka Flatbread
In this instructable I will show you how you can make easy Turkish yufka flatbread. Yufka is an elastic and pliable flatbread that you can use to make for example wraps or a flatbread pizza. The basic ingredients for making Yufka are flour, salt, olive oil and water.
You can make the dough by hand or in a food processor. If you make it in the food processor the dough is done in under a minute. By hand will take more time as you have to knead the ingredients into an elastic dough.
Start with the flour and salt and let it whisk shortly in the food processor. Then add the olive oil in the flour and turn the food processor on. Pour warm water gradually into the food processor until the flour turns into a ball.
Take the dough ball out the food processor onto a floured board and knead it by hand for about 1 minute. Then wrap it in cling film and let it rest at least 30 minutes more if you have time. You can even make the dough the night before and leave it in the refrigerator.
Then cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll the first piece into a tortilla shape. In the meanwhile heat your skillet and brush it with some vegetable oil. When your pan is hot put the flatbread tortilla in the pan. The tortilla will puff up.
Leave for about 1 minute and check to see dark spots on the tortilla. Turn and cook the other side for another minute. Keep warm under a clean kitchen cloth and serve.
Step 1: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the Turkish yufka flatbread? Then watch the 1-minute instruction video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make six yufka flatbreads you need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil more for brushing the pan
- 1⅔ cup water
Step 3: Instructions
- Put flour and salt in food processor and whisk. Then add the olive oil in the flour and gradually pour warm water into the food processor until the flour turns into a ball.
- Take the dough ball out on a floured board and knead it by hand for about 1 minute.
- Wrap dough in cling film and let it rest at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll into a tortilla shape.
- Pre heat skillet and brush it with oil. When your pan is hot put the flatbread tortilla in the pan.
- Leave the yufka for about 1 minute and check to see dark spots on the tortilla. Then turn and cook the other side for another minute.
Step 4: Notes
If you made more yufka flatbreads than you are eating or made the yufka ahead you can do the following to store:
- If you are going to eat the yufka within 24 hours just store them in a zip loc plastic bag at room temperature.
- Want to store the yufka flatbread tortilla for a longer period put the plastic bag in the freezer. You can store them for at least a month.
Reheat the yufka shortly in your skillet to warm them again one by one. You can also wrap the yufkas in some aluminium foil and heat them at 400℉/200℃ for 5 minutes or until warm.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.