Introduction: How to Make USB LED Light
Every day millions of cigarette lighters are sold around the world. The lighters mostly are made of plastic and are offered so cheap that no one cares about recycling them. Thus, they too contribute too the problem of disposing used plastic materials.
In this Instructable, i decided to reuse an empty cigarette lighter and recycle it to make a wonderful USB light. This light can be connected to a mobile powerbank and used as flashlights during the dark. It can also be inserted into the laptop USB port and you can work quietly without the need to switch ON the room light. Also, it can be used as a night room light by just plugging it into the USB mobile wall charger.
Step 1: Order Parts
- LED (5 mm) - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- 100 ohm resistor - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Heat Shrink Tube - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Soldering Iron - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Hot Glue Gun - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- LED (5 mm) - http://amzn.to/2sAFYOT
- 100 ohm resistor - http://amzn.to/2seVmBm
- Heat Shrink Tube - http://amzn.to/2qfCoIR
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2r3IX6g
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2rDrNZp
- LED (5 mm) - http://amzn.to/2I7aCsk
- 100 ohm resistor - http://amzn.to/2oQEr7G
- Heat Shrink Tube - http://amzn.to/2tkVrbw
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2qC47qG
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2qIzwWN
From Home & Local store : Old USB Cable and empty lighter.
Step 2: Watch the Video
As i always say, there is no better tool than a video to understand the procedure of a tutorial. It not only provides a deep insight into the understanding but also makes it easy to follow the steps. However, also visit next steps for additional details and images.
Step 3: Prepare the Lighter
- Take an empty cigarette lighter.
- Carefully remove the cap and all the other components.
- Also remove the gas nozzle using Nose pliers. Make sure not to damage the lighter in any way.
- Using a syringe, fill the lighter completely with water (glycerine works better).
- Insert a 5mm LED (any color) inverted into the lighter hole such that the LED legs are at the top.
- Seal the opening carefully with hot glue.
Note: Please refer to the images above or watch the video to avoid any errors.
Step 4: Add the Components
- Solder a 100 ohm resistor to one of the LED legs.
- Strip a USB cable and you will find four wires inside.
- Cut the two data wires as we only need two wires to supply power.
- You can identify the data wires using a multimeter in conductance mode. The Pin 1 & Pin 4 are the Vcc & Gnd respectively whereas Pin 2 & Pin 3 are data pins connected to data wires.
- Solder the wire connected to the Vcc pin to the '+ve' LED leg.
- Solder the Gnd wire to the remaining LED terminal.
- Cover and secure the joint with heat shrink tube.
- Insert all the lighter components and re-assemble the cigarette lighter completely as shown in the image above.
Step 5: Test the USB Light
Our USB LED Light is now ready. Insert it into any 5v USB port and it will glow brightly. It is an amazing and wonderful USB light that can be made in very few minutes.
So Friends, this here concludes the instructable, stay tuned and Follow to receive regular updates. In case you might have missed, watch the video and see how i made this wonderful USB LED light at home. Don't forget to leave your valuable suggestions in the comments section below.
Thanks for your support..!!