In this instructable I will show you how to make vegan crunchy tortilla tostada. Tostadas are very versatile and adaptable to what you like most. Combine the flavors that you love and you get a heavenly lunch dish. As this tostada recipe is vegan I have included a lot of vegetables and some great guacamole and tomato salsa.
Step 1: Overview
Tostada is made from flour tortillas and they are like a big sandwich. Just like with a sandwich you can decorate them any way you like. First it is important to get them crunchy. You can get them crunchy by frying them in hot oil for a couple of minutes. When fried in oil they do hold a lot of fat so make sure you let all the excess fat drain in paper towels. You can put them in the microwave between paper towels heat them on full volume for about 1 minute than repeat with top towel removed. The method I prefer is using cooking spray or oil brushed on both sides of the tortilla and let them get crunchy in the oven.
On top of the tostada we put mashed brown beans. This gives the tostada a great base to start with, as it is savory and tasty. To make mashed brown beans start with frying onions, paprika and cumin. If you like you can include garlic and chili peppers. Add about a cup of water and let the brown beans for about 10 to 15 minutes. Take the brown beans of the heat. Secure about 15 brown beans so you can decorate the tostada. Then transfer the remaining brown beans into a bowl and mash the brown beans with at fork. The mashed brown beans are the first layer of the tostadas..
Beside the mash beans we add the following toppings: smooth roasted tomato salsa (see my previous instructable how you can make this), guacamole (see my previous instructable how you can make this), ice berg lettuce, mushrooms and corn.
Step 2: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the vegan crunchy tortilla tostada? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 2 flour tortillas. You can use store bought tortillas or make them by following this instructable.
- 1 small can of brown beans (340 grams).
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- ½ onion.
- 1 cup of water.
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder.
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- 5 mushrooms.
- 1 cup of smooth roasted tomato salsa. You can use store bought salsa or make it yourself by following this instructable.
- ½ cup of guacamole. You can use store bought guacamole or make it yourself by following this instructable.
- ½ avocado.
- Iceberg lettuce for decorating.
- 15-20 brown beans for decorating.
Step 4: Instructions
- Make some guacamole (optional, see instructable).
- Make some smooth roasted tomato salsa (optional, see instructable)
- Heat a small pan with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- First add the onion and fry them until soft and transparent. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Then add the brown beans, the paprika and then the cumin and stir through before adding the cup of water.
- Let the beans get to the boil.
- Stir and reduce the heat to medium to let the brown beans simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Take the beans of the heat. Drain the brown beans preserving about 15-20 brown beans for decorating and transfer to a bowl.
- Mash the brown beans.
- Preheat the oven at 350℉/175℃.
- Spray the tortillas with cooking spray or vegetable oil on both sides.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes (turn at about 5 minutes in the oven).
- Start plating the tostada and start with mashed brown beans.
- Then add the smooth roasted tomato salsa before adding a large portion of the guacamole.
- Decorate the tostada with corn, lettuce and brown beans.
- Ready to serve.
Step 5: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.