Introduction: How to Make Vegan Tempeh Burritos
In this instructable I will show you how to make tempeh burritos. Tempeh is a traditional soy product originating from Indonesia and can be given a lot of different flavors. I like cooking with Tempeh because it is a rich source of protein, high in vitamines and low in fat and it gives a nice bite to the burrito.
To make the burrito filling you need a tempeh block of about 200 grams (enough for 2 persons). First fry the tempeh in a pan together with onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin powder and chili powder. Then add some tomato purée and vegetable stock and let the tempeh sauté for 20 minutes. While the tempeh mix is simmering, cook some Basmati rice and boil some green and kidney beans and make some healthy guacamole (see my previous instructable how easy this is).
When the burrito filling is ready it is time to combine all the ingredients into a burrito. Take two flour tortillas and layer them with two big spoons full of rice. As second layer add some tempeh mix with cooked green beans on top. To give it some extra bite add two spoons full of kidney beans before adding guacamole. Top it of with a generous helping of vegan cheese before wrapping up the burrito in some parchment paper. Cut the burritos in half and serve them immediately.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the tempeh tortillas? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make two burritos you need the following ingredients.
- 2 big size tortillas. You can use store-bought flour tortillas or homemade (see instructable)
- 200 grams of tempeh.
- ½ bell pepper thinly sliced.
- ½ red onion.
- 1 clove of garlic.
- ½ chili powder (I use hot chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- 1 cup of vegetable stock.
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- 1 tin of tomato purée (80 grams)
- 1 cup of Basmati rice
- 200 g of green beans.
- 1 cup of guacamole. You can use store-bought guacamole or homemade (see instructable)
- 1 small tin of kidney beans (80 grams)
- ½ vegan cheese. You can use store-bought vegan cheese or homemade (see instructable)
Step 3: Instructions
- Heat a pan on high heat.
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Put the red onion in the pan. Stir before adding the bell pepper.
- Stir until soft and translucent.
- Then add chopped garlic.
- Pull the tempeh apart and add to the pan.
- Now it is time for the tomato purée. Stir.
- Then add the chili powder and cumin and vegetable stock.
- Let the tempeh simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook green beans and kidney beans.
- Assemble the burrito and take a tortilla. First add the rice then the tempeh mix, green beans and kidney beans.
- Add some guacamole and generous amount of vegan cheese.
- Wrap the burrito in parchment paper and half the burrito.
- Serve immediately.
Step 4: Notes
When you start preparing the tempeh meat, cook the Basmati rice and cook the green beans and kidney beans.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.