Robot toys can be seen almost everywhere these days. There are variety of toys for kids are available in the market that it becomes very difficult to choose. Recently, is a saw a four legged walking robot but it was quite a complex mechanism.
I then wanted to make a mini cute robot that can be easily made by anyone with just few basic materials. So, I decided to make this instructable in which i show how to make a simple and cute walking robot just with a single DC motor and a 9v battery.
Although, this DIY robot is yet nowhere comparable to a commercial robot toys but it is very simple to make and a fun toy for kids. You only need few basic items and just few free minutes of your time to make a walking robot at home. This is really an awesome toy that everybody loves, just give it a try.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Watch the Video
Step 2: Order Parts
- Dual Axis Motor - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- 9v Battery - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Battery Connector - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Switch - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Hot Glue Gun - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Soldering Iron - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Dual Axis Motor - https://amzn.to/2N3LBzg
- 9v Battery - https://amzn.to/2DBTE6S
- Battery Connector - https://amzn.to/2QTZeUW
- Switch - https://amzn.to/2N2JFHH
- Hot Glue Gun - https://amzn.to/2xAfi6g
- Soldering Iron - https://amzn.to/2N4gw3B
- Dual Axis Motor - https://amzn.to/2NDQa8L
- 9v Battery - https://amzn.to/2OPQxcP
- Battery Connector - https://amzn.to/2OMK8iB
- Switch - http://amzn.to/2wu3K1P
- Hot Glue Gun - https://amzn.to/2O99b2h
- Soldering Iron - https://amzn.to/2QlZFXF
From Home & Local Store: Cloth Hanger, Straw (big & small), Tape, connecting wires and thread or a cable tie.
Step 3: Prepare the Motor
- Take a straw with a smaller diameter.
- Cut two small pieces from the straw.
- Take the DC motor and apply some super glue at the edge of a shaft.
- Paste the straw piece over the motor shaft.
- Repeat the steps for the other side as well.
- Secure the straw with motor shaft using a sticky tape.
Step 4: Make the Legs
- Take a metal cloth hanger or a thick metal wire.
- Cut two small pieces of about 6cm from it.
- Mark a point at about 2cm from one edge.
- Bend both the metal pieces from the edge at 90°. (Note: Refer to the images above)
- Take two bendable straws and cut the size proportional to that of the metal legs.
- Using Super Glue, paste the straw bends to the metal legs in such a way that the shorter edge of metal leg is perpendicular to the longer leg of straw bend.
- Secure the joints with sticky tape.
Step 5: Join Legs and Motor
- Insert the metal legs in the hole near the motor shaft.
- Take a small piece of straw (diameter slightly bigger).
- Insert the straw piece in the leg as shown in the image.
- Apply some hot glue and connect the legs to the motor.
- Repeat the steps for the other leg as well.
- Both the legs should now be joined to the motor but free to move back and forth.
Step 6: Battery Connector
- Take a 9v battery connector.
- Connect a switch to the +ve terminal i.e Red wire as shown in the image.
- Solder the battery connector to the motor terminals.
- Apply some hot glue and fix the switch to the motor.
- The motor should now be controlled by the switch when the battery is connected.
- If you want to change the direction of rotation of the motor then just reverse the motor connections.
Step 7: Finish the Walking Robot
- Take two ice cream spoons and mark the points as shown in the image above.
- Cut the pieces according to the marked points to make the feet.
- Drill a hole at the marked point.
- Make two such pieces and place them over a flat surface.
- Place the robot over the feet such that the metal legs are just above the holes.
- Secure the feet to the metal legs using super glue.
- Apply some hot glue beneath the feet to provide friction while walking.
- Bend the metal wire in a U-shape.
- Paste two small feet made of the ice cream spoons.
- Apply some hot glue and paste the legs on the motor such that the robot now has 4 legs.
Step 8: Designing and Improvements
- Using hot glue, paste a 9v battery over the motor.
- Using super glue, paste two buttons on the battery to make robot Eyes.
- After using it for a while, i found that although it was working well but the legs would often come out randomly.
- So, i decided to use a cable tie and tie the legs to protect them from coming out.
- Cut the extra length of cable tie with the pliers.
Step 9: Playing and Testing
- Connect the battery connector to the 9v battery.
- Turn the switch On and the robot should start to walk.
However, if you find that the robot falls down or walks abruptly then carefully remove the legs and adjust them again, so that they are bent at the same angle and are of equal length. This DIY walking robot is very easy to make and awesome toy for kids. It works really well and is very satisfying to watch.
So Friends, this here concludes the instructable, stay tuned and SUBSCRIBE to receive regular updates. You can also contact me through social media, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Instagram. In case you might have missed, watch the video and see how i made this wonderful DIY Walking Robot at home.
If you like my tutorials, also do consider to visit my Youtube channel GOODTECH - Creativity And Science, where i frequently post new and interesting content.
Thanks for your Support..!!