Introduction: How to Make Your Own Fishing Lure and How to Make It Glow
Learn How to make your own fishing lures. Mold making and casting.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Secure the Object
Thumbtacks were used to secure the rubber frog to the plastic container. Place the pin through the bottom of the plastic container and then through the rubber frog.
Most objects can be hot glued to the mold box. Some heavier objects can be fastened using a piece of clay or sticky tape.
Step 2: Make the Mold
- Lightly coat the frog with a mold release. This can be vegetable oil, WD40, silicone mold release urethane mold release etc. Just don't use to much and, wipe away any excess to avoid imperfections in the mold.
- (Optional) Spray a heavy coat of Bubble Buster. Bubble Busters breaks the surface tensions which allows bubbles to rise to the surface rather than sticking to the object creating cleaner molds.
- Melt the ComposiMold in a microwave double boiler, or in an oven set no higher than 170F in an oven safe container.
- Pour ComposiMold over the frog until it is covered by at least a quarter inch. (Larger parts should be made thicker)
Step 3: De-Mold the Frog
After 2 hours at room temperature or 45 minutes in the freezer the ComposiMold will cool and become a flexible rubber. Once the mold has cooled remove the frog from the mold and coat it with a mold release. Some resins are picky about the mold release so check to see what is recommended. Here we are using Clear Casting Plastic which is compatible with most mold releases (Vegetable oil, WD40 silicone mold release etc.)
Step 4: Measure Mix and Pour Clear Casting Plastic and Phosphorescent Powder
Measure the Clear Casting Plastic 1 part A to 1 Part B by weight or volume. Then add 15- 20% phosphorescent powder by weight.
Mix and pour slowly to avoid adding bubbles.
For this project we mixed 50g of part A 50g of part B and 20g of phosphorescent powder.
Step 5: De-Mold and Add the Hooks
- Wait 14-24 hours for the Clear Casting Plastic to cure then, de-mold.
- Drill the holes and insert the hooks.
- Place the Lure in the sun to absorb light.
- Go fishing!!
- Catch a really big fish!!
- Tell me about your catch!