Hello everyone! In this instructables I will show you how to make a hand spinner with a hard drive.
The principle of the hand spinner is very simple: an axis, a ball bearing, and 2 or 3 weight of the same mass. The hard disk provides the axis and the ball bearing, for the weight, we will improvise.
You can also find all the steps and a demo of the result in video at step 8 "bonus".
Step 1: Components and Tools Needed
- screwdriver (The type of screw changes according to the manufacturer of hard disk but generally it is about Torx screws)
- a drill
- a glue gun
- hard disk (No SSD of course :-) )
- 2 bottle caps
- 3 Threaded screws or 3 pieces of threaded rod
- 12 nuts
Step 2: Disassemble the Hard Drive
To start, we will disassemble the hard drive.
- First remove all screws on both sides of the hard drive.
- Then remove the disc cover with a flat screwdriver.
Now you have to disassemble the reading head in order to free the disk.
Bonus:you can retrieve the neodymium magnet. I love this magnet, he's really too cool!
The most difficult part is usually this one: you have to bring out the axis which is pressed in the Chassis of the hard disk.
- To get out axis, I use a screwdriver and a hammer, it's a bit radical, but it works well!
- Finally, remove the screws that secure the disc to the axis and remove it.
Step 3: Preparation of the Disk
Now we will prepare the disc for hanging weights.
We will divide the disc into 3.
- For this, with a protractor, make 3 angles of 120 ° and make marks with a pen.
You normally have a mark at 0 °, 120 ° and 240 °.
Step 4: Drilling the Disk
In this step, we will drill holes in the the disk so we can hang weights.
Caution: Hold firmly disk when you drill and wear gloves because the disc will quickly heat!
- Drill 1 hole on each mark we made in the previous step, about 1 cm from the edge
Step 5: Hang the Weights on the Disk
Now we will hang the weights on the disk.
- If threaded screws are used, cut the head of the screws.
-Screw 2 nuts onto a threaded rod, pass it through one of the hole in the disc, then screw 2 more nuts.
Repeat this twice.
- Now, reattach the disk to the axis.
Step 6: Hold It!
Now we will make the part to hold it.
- Cut the outline of one of the 2 bottle caps.
- Drill the bottom of the second cap. Insert a screw (recovery on the hard drive)
- Fill the glue cap and then close with the piece of the first cap.
- Allow to dry.
- Screw your bracket
Step 7: Rotate!!!
Here's your and spinner is over! You can improve it, there is something to do! 2 disks, cut branches in the disk ...
Step 8: Bonus: All Steps and Demonstration in Video!
If you liked this project, subscribe to my youtube channel!
Participated in the
Before and After Contest 2017