I think we've all been there at one time or another...... You're alone in the house, it's dark, you're feeling a little bit hungry, so you grab a frozen patty from the freezer and throw it on the grill only to find out that your spice cabinet is a mess and you can't find the seasonings you were looking for, leaving your poor little patty to be dry and tasteless! All jokes aside, we were honestly just really tired of looking for stuff in our spice cabinet and never actually knowing what was in there. So after many years of searching, we finally broke down and built ourselves a proper spice storage system that is hidden away behind some trim.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
Step 1: Milling Your Shelves
If you've gone over any of our other instructables, you know that we love making things as cheaply as possible. And when you're looking to make things in a super cheap fashion, look no further than a couple of 2x4s and some super thin 1/4" plywood.
For starters, we began by crosscutting our plywood into thin strips of about 4" to act as the bottom of our shelves. For the ledges of our shelves, we ripped several of our 2x4s down to a thickness of about 3/8" and then nailed and glued them all together.
One thing to keep in mind though is that 2 of your shelves require rollers to be attached to them, so you'll have to make 2 separate pieces that are going to be wide enough for your rollers to sit on.
Step 2: Sides
Since the only things that our shelves would be holding is spices, we opted once again to rip some more of our 2x4s down into some thinner longer strips to connect all of the platforms together.
Step 3: Trim Pieces
To match the paneling of our cabinets, we used a piece of 1x6 pine that was eight feet long. Whether you watched the video or not, you probably noticed that we split our trim piece into two separate pieces. This was not by choice however as the board we selected was extremely twisted and almost impossible to get flush with any surface. So to remedy this problem, we split the board in half, ran each piece through the joiner several times, and then covered up the seam with a small trim piece.
Step 4: Installation
As far as installations, this one was a little tricky because as we came to find out, there was no stud near the bottom of the wall for us to attach our drawer glides too. So what we did instead was carve out a hole in our wall for a small board to be inserted into. We then attached our bottom drawer glide to this board through the drywall so that the drywall would be pinched between the rack and the board. It might not have been the perfect solution to the problem, but it worked extremely well!
Step 5: The Finished Product
While not our prettiest looking project, it turned out as definitely one of our more functional builds that made our mother very happy right before mother's day!
This is an entry in the