Ramen and instant noodles are always considered as junk food in western culture since they do not have good nutrition, but it is time to change our mind. This instruction will teach you how to make Japanese ramen eggs and braised pork, which are the two important sides for Japanese ramen, and together with instant noodle and soup base, a yummy Japanese Pork Broth Ramen will be ready to serve. The time to prepare these two sides will take more than one day, but once you have them ready, making Japanese ramen is just like making instant noodles!
Step 1: Materials
- Kikkoman Soy Sauce (3 cup)
- Kikkoman Aji-Mirin (1 cup)
- Olive Oil
- Bonito Flakes
- Crystal Candy
- Pork Shoulder Roast (2.5 lb)
- Green Onions x 3
- Ginger Eggs x 18
- Ramen (1 serve)
Special Equipment (Not Shown):
- Needle and Thread
- Kitchen Paper Towel
Step 2: Prepare Runny Eggs
- Clean the eggs in water. This also lets eggs back to room temperature.
- Prick a tiny hole on the bottom of each egg with a needle. This will prevent eggs from cracking while they are in boiled water, and it is the key step of making runny eggs.
- Place eggs in boiled water for 6-7 minutes.
- Take out eggs and place into iced water, wait them to be cool enough.
- Peel the eggs gently.
- Place all eggs into a container for preparation.
Caution: Runny eggs are difficult to peel since they are very soft, peel them in water will be helpful, please be patient.
Step 3: Marinate the Eggs
- Add Kikkoman soy sauce and Kikkoman Aji-Mirin in 3:1, 2 green onions in segments, some crystal candy, and a few bonito flakes into a big pot.
- Heat it over low heat until all the crystal candy is melted.
- Wait until the sauce is cool.
- Pour enough sauce into the egg container without green onions and bonito flakes.
- Cover the egg with a kitchen paper towel. This will let eggs be marinated evenly.
- Place the eggs into a refrigerator for one night.
Note: Do not let eggs stay in the sauce for over 24 hours, otherwise they will be too salty.
Step 4: Marinate the Pork
- Clean the pork shoulder meat with water.
- Cut the meat horizontally but do NOT cut off.
- Strike the pork with the back of the knife blade.
- Roll it up and tie up with thread tightly.
- Add some olive oil into a medium size pan.
- Fried the pork with hight heat until the surface is a little brown.
- Cut 4-5 slices of ginger.
- Place the pork, gingers, and the sauce that we used to marinate eggs into a big pot. You may add some water if the sauce is not enough.
- Heat it with high heat until boiled, then switch to low heat for 1 hour.
Note: Do not forget to turn over the meat from time to time to evenly marinate the pork.
Step 5: Final Step
- Slice as many pieces of meat as you want, and cut a ramen egg in half. Hint: You may use thread to cut the egg, it will keep the egg in a nice shape.
- Do not ask me how to cook the instant noodles :)
- Dish up the ramen with seaweed and green onion or any vegetables that you like.
- Now, a delicious Japanese Pork Broth Ramen is ready to serve, enjoy!