This fun DIY project is appropriate for all ages! It is a super simple and cute craft. Pom poms have various uses ranging from holiday decor, wall art, and soft rugs. It is a craft that can be created in less than ten minutes!
- Fabric scissors are recommended for this project because it is easiest to cut the yarn that way.
- Size of cardboard determines size of pom pom.
- It is important to remember to wrap enough yarn around the cardboard so pom poms are fluffy and full
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
- Collect materials needed to complete project.
- Scrap cardboard
- Scissors (Fabric scissors optional)
Step 2: Cut Cardboard
- Cut scrap cardboard into a shape resembling a rectangle, then cut a slit 3/4th of the way down the middle of the cardboard.
- (Depending on desired size of pom pom, cut bigger or smaller rectangle out of the cardboard)
Step 3: Wrap the Yarn
- Starting on one side of the cardboard, wrap yarn around both sides of the piece of cardboard until you have a thick layer of yarn
Step 4: Leave Excess
- Leave two inches or so as excess.
Step 5: Cut a New Piece of Yarn
- Cut a separate piece of yarn, approx. 12 inches, after yarn is completely wrapped.
- String the 12 inches of yarn through the opening of the cardboard and around the bunch of yarn
Step 6: Tie String Around Yarn
- Once the string of yarn is through the opening in the cardboard, wrap string around and secure a tight knot around the yarn
Step 7: Slide Yarn Off Cardboard
- Slowly slide it off the cardboard, once the yarn is securely tied.
Step 8: Tie Another Knot
- Place tie side down on the table and bring loose yarn around to the other side and make another knot.
Step 9: Cut Loops of Yarn
- Locate the loop in the yarn that was tied the cardboard and use the scissors to cut the loop into two halves.
- Repeat on other side of the knot
( Yarn ball will look uneven)
Step 10: Fluff Yarn
- Fluff out the yarn and trim pieces to make pieces look even and pom ball more round.
(Trim as desired depending on how you want your Pom Pom to look)
Step 11: Trim Excess
- Trim excess yarn that was used to tie knot
(Cut to own liking for your finished product)