If you like the show, subscribe to us oniTunes, and check out some more cool tutorials and step by step instructions on Threadbanger.com.
And if you want to see this ruffle vest made in action, watch the video below.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Cutting Out the Vest
1. First turn the pants inside out, pin the two layers of the leg together and cut out a long rectangle thats bigger at one end.
Step 2: Sewing the Perimeter
2. Repeat with the other leg, then sew a seam around the entire perimeter of each rectangle. Leave a small gap and turn them both right side out.
Step 3: The Top Seam
3. Sew a top seam around each rectangle and close up your gaps.
Step 4: Making the Ruffles
4. Slightly overlap the two wider ends then pin. Now make small pleats all the way down one side and pin. Repeat on the other side, making sure to fold both sides under.
Step 5: Sewing the Ruffles
5. Sew the pleats on one end starting at the end then stopping in the middle. Go with the pleats, not against. Then sew the other half the same way.
Step 6: Measuring the Elastic
6. Next take out some inch-wide elastic, fit it around your neck, under your arms and connect it at the back. Then pin the middle of the elastic to the middle of the garment.
Step 7: Sewing the Elastic to the Garment
7. Then sew the elastic to the garment, making sure you stretch the elastic as you sew, so the ruffles will scrunch up more. Start in the middle and work your way to one end. Repeat on the other side.
Step 8: Sewing Down the Elastic
8. Now sew down both sides of the elastic, again, stretching as you sew.
Step 9: Finishing Up!
9. Then overlap the ends of the elastic and sew it together in a rectangular motion. Add a hap-harzard stitch in the middle and at the ends and you are done!