Always being a firm believer that having breakfast is essential in our everyday lives, there are people that ignore it and go on with their days without it. Most of the people think that making breakfast is time-consuming and will result them being late for work or school. This set of instructions will show you how to go about making a very simple breakfast sandwich which is not time-consuming and can be done by anyone. The longest time it takes to make this sandwich is 10 minutes so preparation time should not be a excuse to miss breakfast. When you finish making and start eating the sandwich, you will definitely feel that having a meal in the morning makes your day go even better.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: List of Ingredients
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 slice of American cheese
- 1 slice of Swiss cheese
- 3 slices of Smoked ham
Note: The amount and type of cheese and ham is completely flexible and you can go with your own preferences. For this example, two different types of cheese were used to see if the tastes compliment each other. It is recommended to use American cheese as it has a rich taste.
List of Tools:
- Cooking Pan
- Butter Knife
Step 2: Preparation
- Put cooking pan on stove.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat.
- Spread butter evenly on both faces for each pieces of bread.
- Let the pan heat until the point that water droplets will sizzle when sprinkled onto it.
Step 3: Cooking
- Put a piece of bread into the pan.
- Start layering the pieces of ham and cheese onto the open face of the bread.
- Top the fillings with the other piece of bread.
- Let the bread cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich onto the other side.
- Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes or until it becomes golden-brown.
- You can put the ham and cheese in any order of your preference.
- If the timing is off, it will be more helpful to look at the appearance of the bread. If it becomes a golden-brown color, as shown in the picture above, it is good to go.
Step 4: Finishing and Serving
- Serve the sandwich on a plate.
- Cut the sandwich in half diagonally as shown in the picture above.
- Enjoy the sandwich!
You can serve or cut the sandwich in any way you prefer because as always, there are no constraints on what you can do with food. With this you have successfully completed making the grilled ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast. Furthermore, this dish can be cooked for lunch or as a snack as well, not only just for breakfast. If you have more time to spare, you can go on and make a few different sides to go with the sandwich if it is not enough. Hopefully these short and non time-consuming instructions will help you in making a simple but hearty breakfast.
Step 5: Side Scrambled Eggs
List of ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- Salt and Pepper
List of tools:
- Whisk/ Fork
The most favorite side that goes well with the sandwich are scrambled eggs. Since making these two dishes do not take too long, they can be made at the same time or you can make the eggs after the sandwich. This is just a simple version of how to cook it and there are much better and detailed versions all around so feel free to check those out if you want to.
Step 6: Preparing the Ingredients and Heating the Pan
- Crack the eggs into a bowl
- Using a whisk or a fork, beat the eggs.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper each.
- Continue beating the eggs until frothy and even-colored, as seen in the picture above.
Next will be the heating of the cooking pan so you can do this together with the sandwich.
- Turn the stove on to medium heat.
- Put a dab of butter into the pan.
- Once the butter starts sizzling, it is ready to cook the eggs.
Step 7: Cooking
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan.
- Using a spatula, constantly lift the cooked parts on the bottom so that the uncooked parts can flow down.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and turn off the stove.
- Lift pan off the stove and continue stirring the eggs until the uncooked parts are cooked.
- The pan will still be hot after turning off the heat so you have to lift it off to prevent the eggs from cooking too much as you will want to keep them moist and not dry.
- Avoid constant stirring when the eggs are cooking and only start after the bottom starts to set.
Step 8: Serving
- Serve the eggs as the side for the grilled ham and cheese sandwich.
- Enjoy the hearty meal!
Since there is already cheese in the sandwich, it is not recommended to sprinkle more cheese onto the eggs as it will become too rich. So just eat the sandwich together with the eggs and you will have a delicious combination. Again you do not have to make the scrambled eggs with the sandwich if you choose not to. It is recommended that you do it if you have more time to spare in the morning before going to work or school. These instructions may not be completely right but they have been used a lot so if you have any feedback or questions, feel free to leave a comment. Enjoy and have a simple but delicious breakfast.