Introduction: How to Make the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
I love cookie dough. Love it — I mean, I like a warm, gooey, chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven as much as the next guy, but more often than not I will make these cookies just for the dough.
I have tried a ton of different recipes, always looking for the very best version, and so far, I have not found a better recipe than the one I am going to share with you.
Click through to see the recipe and a step by step guide with pictures.
Step 1: The Recipe
Preheat oven to 375℉
Add to mixing bowl
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup real butter (softened, but not melted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp water
- 2 eggs - add one at a time and mix
Mix in separate bowl
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- .5 tsp baking powder
- Chocolate chips (I like to use regular chips and mini chips)
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- Add wet ingredients to mixing bowl and mix in order
- Add dry ingredients in separate bowl and mix well
- Slowly add dry mix into wet mix and mix until incorporated
- Hand stir in chocolate chips
- I like to use a medium cookie scoop to keep the cookies the same size
- Add these to a cookie sheet - I usually sprinkle a very small amount of course salt on top before I place them in the oven, and push a couple of chocolate chips into the top of the dough
- Bake for 9-11 minutes
*If you are going to bake the cookies, and have enough self-control, then it is good to cover these and put the dough in the fridge for an hour or so before baking
As I mentioned, I am all about the cookie dough, so I typically only bake a dozen of these and then use my cookie scooper to scoop out the rest of the dough and put them in a gallon ziplock bag and throw them in the freezer. That way I can pull out a little treat whenever I want - you also can do this and bake the cookies whenever you get a craving.
Step 2: Gather Your Ingredients
Get your ingredients together.
I forgot to put the chocolate chips in the picture, but believe me, they are in the cookies.
Step 3: Mixing the Wet Ingredients
Add the shortening, butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and water. Mix in stand mixer.
Add your eggs one at a time, mixing in between.
Step 4: Mixing the Dry Ingredients
Add your flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Step 5: Mixing the Wet & Dry Ingredients
Slowly add the dry mix into the wet mix and blend until combined.
Step 6: Adding Your Chips
I don't believe in measuring out chocolate chips, pour them in and mix in by hand. If you feel like you don't have enough, then add more.
Step 7: Scooping Out Your Dough
I like to use my cookie scoop to get all the cookies the same size. I typically only bake about a dozen cookies at a time and save the rest for later. This recipe makes about 3.5 dozen cookies.
Step 8: Bake & Enjoy
Bake these cookies for 9-11 minutes.
Participated in the
Comfort Food Challenge