In this instructable, I will be showing you how to create this beautiful painting. You can click on the 1 minute video above to see my step by step process or keep reading below.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
The following is a list of the supplies I used for this project along with a link to provide the specifications:
- (2) 20x24 Acid Free Gesso Primed Canvases https://amzn.to/2U65z0U
- (4) 16x20 Acid Free Gesso Primed Canvases https://amzn.to/2Nm5PWG
- (5) 11x14 Acid Free Gesso Primed Canvases https://amzn.to/2EmeDcf
- (10) 8x10 Acid Free Gesso Primed Canvases https://amzn.to/2BLpY48
- (4) 7x14 Acid Free Gesso Primed Canvases
- (6) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic Flamenco Red (2 oz) Bottles https://amzn.to/2E1hgPr
- (6) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic Spiced Carrot (2 oz) Bottles https://amzn.to/2BMAurH
- (6) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic Tropic Orange (2 oz) Bottles https://amzn.to/2tx7cJd
- (1) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic Bright Yellow (16 oz) Jar https://amzn.to/2E5G7Bz
- (6) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic Bimini Blue (2 oz) Bottles https://amzn.to/2EoAkbI
- (6) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic Tuscan Teal (2 oz) Bottles
- (6) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic English Navy (2 oz) Bottles https://amzn.to/2E11FPU
- (1) Apple Barrel Matte Acrylic Black (16 oz) Jar https://amzn.to/2T9aP6n
- (1) Set of Acrylic Detail Brushes https://amzn.to/2U3Zlyy
- (1) 1/4 inch Acrylic Flat Brush https://amzn.to/2NkATGj
- (1) 2 inch Flat Brush https://amzn.to/2T8ZjYJ
- (1) Easel https://amzn.to/2XgJrTc
- Microsoft Powerpoint https://amzn.to/2GYtbk4
Total cost to produce this painting: $357.67 + 40-50 hours of labor.
Step 2: Arrange Your Canvases
I arranged my canvases to make one giant, cohesive piece.
Step 3: Create a Horizon
I used a pencil to draw a horizon line to where about 2/3 of the painting would be sky and about 1/3 of the painting would be water. I also used a pencil to mark a Y (yellow) on all of the parts that were sky and a B (blue) for all of the parts that were water. This helps me to not get confused as I move the canvases around.
Step 4: Paint the First Layer
I used a 2 inch flat brush to paint all of the canvases above the horizon with one coat of Bright Yellow and all of the canvases below the horizon with one coat of Bimini Blue. I also painted the edges of all of the canvases above the horizon with two coats of Flamenco Red. I painted the edges of all of the canvases below the horizon with two coats of English Navy.
Step 5: Paint the Lines
To create the lines in the water, I used equal parts of Bimini Blue, English Navy, and Tuscan Teal. I used a flat detail brush to apply the lines in short, vertical sweeping motions. I applied a generous amount of paint onto the lines so that I could go back in and refine the lines before the paint dried.
Step 6: Refine the Lines
I used a round detail brush to bring the lines up and down so that they were long and thin. To get a better understanding of how I did this, watch my one minute video about it at the top of the page.
Step 7: Repeat
I repeated this process to create the background for the sky. I used equal parts of Flamenco Red, Spiced Carrot, Tropic Orange, and Bright Yellow.
Step 8: Create Your Stencils
I used copyright free images to create stencils to trace the animals and the tree. I used Microsoft Powerpoint (https://amzn.to/2GYtbk4) to enlarge the images and print them off in sections. I then cut the images out and taped them together.
Step 9: Trace
I used the stencils to trace the animals and tree onto the canvas. I then flipped the stencils over and traced the reflections onto the water. I used black paint to fill it all in.
Step 10: Add the Sun
I used a coffee canister to trace a circle for the sun on both sides of the horizon and filled it in with several layers of Bright Yellow.
Step 11: Finished!
And that's all it takes to make this beautiful painting! If you enjoyed this tutorial, please consider following me on Instructables and subscribing to my Youtube channel to see more content like this. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQQAmEG3HaUyNFH...