Filter Coffee is one of the most favoured method of preparing Coffee in South India. Many households keep the equipment required for making Filter Coffee and prefer it over normally brewed coffee.
The Coffee mix for making Filter Coffee is also different as the normal coffee powder is not suitable for making filter coffee.
To brew filter coffee we use a special equipment made of metal, either Stainless Steel or more traditionally Brass. The filter coffee making equipment consists of 4 parts
- A cylindrical bowl at the bottom for collecting the filtered drips of Coffee
- The Top cylindrical bowl consists perforations at bottom for dripping coffee
- A perforated press with a small handle. This is place inside the perforated top bowl
- A lid to close the top bowl
Let us see how to make Filter Coffee at home
Step 1: Pour Boiled Water in Coffee Filter
- Boil about 2 cups of water in a bowl
- Assemble the Filter Coffee Maker equipment
- Add 4 teaspoons of filter coffee powder on the top bowl and press with the piece with handle and place it inside
- Pour boiling water on the top bowl.
- Close the lid and leave for 3 to 4 hours to brew
Step 2: Pour Dripped Filter Coffee in Cups
- After about 3 to 4 hours most of the boiling water would have brewed and dripped to the bottom holder
- Pour the filtered coffee in cups to 1/5th of its capacity. If you want a strong coffee, you can add more filtered coffee
Step 3: Add Milk and Sugar
- Boil milk in a container and pour over coffee in the cups through a filter
- Add Sugar to your own taste and mix well
Enjoy the hot and aromatic Filter Coffee