Introduction: How to Preserve Indian Gooseberries in Sugar
Indian Gooseberry, also known as Amla or Emblic (Phyllanthus emblica) is a sour fruit which is used in Ayurvedic medicines since long back. These fruits are also pickled or dried for long time storage.
This recipe will guide you on how to preserve Indian Gooseberries in sugar.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Steam Boil the Fruits
I have taken about 250 grams of the fruit for making the preserve. You can use a strainer as shown here or simply tie a clean cloth over a vessel to steam boil the berries.
- Wash the berries and place them on the strainer
- Boil water in a wide mouthed vessel
- When the water starts to boil, place the strainer with the fruits on top
- Cover the fruits for steam boiling.
Step 2: Cut Into Pieces
- After about 15 minutes of steam boiling take out the fruits and allow them to cool
- Cut the fruits in to small pieces. You can cut it into 6 or 8 pieces
- Remove the seeds from the berries and discard
Step 3: Sun-dry With Sugar
- Wash and clean a glass bottle and dry it in the sun
- Place the cut pieces in the bottle
- Add about 150 grams of sugar to the bottle and shake well
- Place the bottle in the sun for drying
Step 4: Add More Sugar
- The fruit pieces may take many days to get completely dry. Initially you may find lot of liquid collected in the bottle from the berries.
- Shake the bottle everyday and keep it in the sun till all liquid evaporates
- Now take out the berries from the bottle and test the pieces by squeezing a piece.
- It still contains lot of moisture.
- Add another 150 grams of sugar and keep in the sun till all moisture evaporates from the fruit pieces
- When the fruit pieces are completely dried take out from the bottle and air dry for one or two days.
The Indian Gooseberry pieces are now well preserved in sugar and can be stored for a very long time in a dry air-tight bottle. You can take one or two pieces any time you want.
Participated in the