Introduction: How to Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 (White Icons on Desktop)
This video will show you how to rebuild the item cache in Windows 10 and fix blank white icons on the desktop that have become corrupted.
1. Press the windows key + r to bring up the run menu and type %appdata% and press ok.
2. This will take you to the roaming data folder and you will need to go back a folder and open up the local folder, press the view button on the top and show hidden items.
3. Now delete the IconCache and empty the recycle bin.
4. Restart the pc (may take longer due to rebuild of file) and check in the local appdata file to see if the IconCache has been replaced.
1. Close all explorer windows that are open
2. launch taskmanager using ctrl+shift+esc 3. In the process tap, right click on the explorer.exe process and end process. 4. From the file menu select new task and type cmd.exe and press ok. 5. Now in command prompt type the following line by line and hit enter:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
6.Now in task manager select file and new task.
7. Type explorer.exe and click ok
8. You may need to refresh the desktop and the best way to do this is to click on your desktop background and press F5 which will refresh.
I am not responsible for anything that happens on your machine and these tutorials are to be used at your own risk. If in doubt contact an IT professional.