I hate it when I crack a fingernail. I usually end up having to cut it to the quick and wait for it to grow back. Not this time ...
Step 1: Get Supplies
To implement this repair you will need the following:
1. Loctitie Super Glue Ultragel Control (available from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.)
2. A lid from a can of peanuts, almonds, etc.
5. Fingernail Clipper
6 Surgical glove (optional)
7 Fine emery board - or - 200, 400, 600 grit wet/dry sand paper
Step 2: Application Procedure #1
1. Cut a small section of the plastic lid. This will be used to smear the superglue onto your fingernail - like a squeegee.
NOTE: Do not trim your fingernail until later - after application of the superglue.
2. Apply superglue directly on top of your fingernail. Smooth the glue and remove any excess with the piece of plastic lid.
3. Allow the glue to dry on your fingernail for at least 15 minutes before proceeding.
Step 3: Application Procedure #2
1. Put a small spot of superglue on the piece of plastic lid.
2. Turn your finger upside down.
3. Dip the end of a toothpick into the glue and apply the glue to the underside tip of your fingernail. Be careful not to glue your fingernail to your skin!
4. Allow the glue to dry on your fingernail for at least 15 minutes before proceeding.
Step 4: Finish Procedure
1. Use the nail clipper to trim your fingernail.
2. Use the fine emery board to gently remove excess superglue and any sharp edges on your fingernail. If you do not have an emery board, you can get still excellent results by using 200, 400 and 600 grit wet/dry automotive type sand paper.
CAUTIONS USING SUPERGLUE:
1. Read and heed the label and packaging instructions for your superglue.
2. Superglue products have hundreds of uses, and are perfect adhesives when safely used. First, be careful when using any glue product and read the instructions on the packaging. When using superglue, work in a well ventilated area to avoid breathing the fumes. Make sure to keep the cap on the glue when you're not using it. This will help keep the glue from drying out and prevent any spillage if you knock the glue over. Keep all cyanoacrylate products out of reach of children and pets. And most importantly, be cautious – superglue bonds skin and eyes in seconds.
3. I am not responsible for your mishandling of the superglue.