Before you begin, your house/apartment must be equipped with cable outlets and basic cable service from any provider. If you do not already have a cable service plan, you must first get one from any provider before trying to set up direct-from-wall cable. This instructional guide features a VIZIO HDTV model, but any TV with a DTV/TV port will work.
The VIZIO HDTV comes with a VIZIO remote control and a power cord. You will need to purchase a coaxial cable cord, any length, which may be purchased at any convenience or department store.
1. Make sure you set your TV into an upright position and place it on a sturdy, flat surface. The rear connectors should remain accessible.
2. Plug your TV power cord into the nearest wall outlet but do not power it on.
3. To connect your TV to a cable outlet, you will need to use a coaxial cable cord. Begin by connecting one end of the coaxial cable cord to the cable outlet. Insert the knob straight into the outlet hole, and turn clockwise until securely fastened.
4. Connect the opposite end of the coaxial cable into the input port on the back of your TV. On a VIZIO HDTV, this port is located on the back of the TV and is labeled DTV/ TV.
5. To connect the coaxial cord to the TV, insert the knob straight into the DTV/TV port and turn clockwise until securely fastened.
6. Move your TV into a desired location. The rear connectors no longer need to be accessible.
7. Turn your TV on by pressing the Power button on either the TV or your TV remote control. On a VIZIO remote control, this button is found at the top, right corner and has a red circle with a line through the top. Your TV should now be on.
8. Press the INPUT button on your remote control to view your current INPUT source. If the TV mode is not already selected, press INPUT on your remote control until the TV mode is selected. You may also select the TV mode by using the up and down arrow buttons on your remote control. The TV mode may appear as either TV or ANT on a VIZIO HDTV. Press OK on your remote control.
9. If this is your first time connecting a coaxial cord to your TV and you have not yet set up your master channel list, you should see a black screen with a “No signal” error message.
10. Open the on-screen TV menu by pressing the MENU button on your remote control.
11. Navigate to the Settings icon using the up and down arrows on the remote control and press OK.
12. Using the up and down arrows on your remote control, navigate down and select the TUNER or TV option (This varies by TV model). Press OK on your remote control.
13. Highlight Tuner Mode and select the Cable option by pressing OK on your remote control. This option is used for direct-from-wall cable TV or any other external cable or satellite box connected to the TV with a coaxial cable.
14. Using the up and down arrows on the remote control, navigate down and select the Auto Channel Scan or Auto Search option (This varies by TV model) by pressing OK on your remote control.
15. Wait for the search to be complete.
16. When the search reaches 100% complete, finish the search by clicking Done. To do this, press OK on your remote control.
17. Exit the on-screen menu by pressing EXIT on your remote control.
18. To check and browse your available direct-from-wall cable channels, press the Channel Up and Channel Down buttons on your remote control.