Introduction: (IoT + Raspberry) How to View Raspberry Pi Desktop From Any Device and From Anywhere
Hello guys, welcome to Being Engineers. In some of our previous tutorial, we have shown you how to use your Android, iOS, Windows and Linux device as a monitor for Raspberry Pi. But we received some questions for an easier way to monitor this thing. So we will be providing it today.
First of all, we will tell what are the downside of the previous methods, i.e. creating SSH connection and then making use of VNC Viewer.
Disadvantages of the previous method:
- In total, 3 to 4 software are required.
- You can use this method only on the same network as the Pi.
- The process is a little bit different for different OS device.
- Each time you want to use your device as a Pi monitor, you have to setup the system. So, it's time-consuming.
In this new method, advantages are:
- The process is same for all OS.
- Time requirement is much less.
- You can access the Pi desktop from anywhere in the world where you can find a network connection.
But the disadvantage of this method is that there will be a little lag in Pi desktop view.
We will be using an IoT(Internet of Things) platform which is Cayenne. You can do enormous things with this platform.
We have also made other Instructables about the following topics based on Raspberry PI -
- How to install Raspbian OS in Raspberry Pi - https://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO-INSTALL-RAS...
- How to use your Linux OS device as a monitor of Raspberry Pi - https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Use-Your-L...
- How to use iOS devices as a monitor of Raspberry Pi - https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Use-Ios-De...
- How to Use Windows Laptop As Monitor for Raspberry Pi - https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Use-Window...
- How to Use Android Device as Monitor for Raspberry Pi - https://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO-USE-ANDROI...
- Your First Project in Raspberry Pi | LED Blinking - https://www.instructables.com/id/Your-First-Projec...
We have made a separate video demonstrating the whole process step by step. So you can watch that also for reference.
Step 1: Install Raspbian OS on SD Card and Power Up the Pi
If you don't know how to install Raspbian OS in SD Card, then go to the first Instructables link given in the Introduction section and follow the steps to install the Raspbian OS correctly and power up the Pi.
If you have Raspbian installed, then go to step 2.
Step 2: Sign Up and Login to CAYENNE
Follow the steps:
- Go to cayenne.mydevices.com
- If you are new then Sign Up and then Login.
Step 3: Setup Your Pi to Work With Cayenne
Now select Pi as your device and proceed.
- Find your Pi IP address from your router Dashboard.
- Now create SSH connection between your Pi and Laptop using Putty (Watch the video of this Instructables for more details).
- Run the command in Pi terminal and wait. The installation process will begin and it will be done automatically by the IoT platform Cayenne. You will receive an email on completion of the installation.
After installation is complete, the Pi will be rebooted and the device will be connected with Cayenne.
Step 4: View Your Pi Desktop From Anywhere
Now you can click on remote access in the device dashboard to view the monitor.
But if you want to use Android or iOS device, then download the cayenne app from app store and login to your account. Then click on remote access on the dashboard to get started.
NOW IT'S DONE!! :)
So that's it. We tried to write in brief so that you can get the whole thing easily. However, if you face any error or any difficulty in completing the process, feel free to ask us in the comment.
Here is our channel link - https://www.youtube.com/c/BeingEngineers1
Look for other videos too, and subscribe if you find it helpful.
Also, don't forget to SHARE!