Introduction: How to Build Our Rocket of Joy
Today, you will build a fun water rocket using nearly all recycled materials.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
Four Two-Liter Water Bottles
2 Small Garbage Bags
8 Bamboo Skewers
Step 2: Rocket Instructions
1. Cut off bottom and top of two of the bottles, leaving two cylinders with two open ends.
2. With third bottle, cut similarly to step one, only cut this cylinder in half. This results in a small cylinder.
3. Tape the three together to create one giant cylinder.
Step 3: Rocket Instructions
4. With the fourth remaining bottle, hold it upside down and tape skewers with duct tape around bottle, so that that they are hanging approximately four inches off the top side of the bottle.
Step 4: Rocket Instructions
5. Cut out three fins in the shape of trapezoid with base lengths of 10 cm and 2 cm and a height length of 7 cm.
6. Tape the fins using duct tape evenly around the fourth bottle, all at identical heights.
Step 5: Rocket Instructions
7. Place the long cylinder of bottles within the skewers so it stays in place.
Step 6: Concluding Rocket Instructions
8. Using cardboard, create a cone shape with a height of 20 cm and a width of 10 cm.
9. Place the cone without tape on top of the rocket.
Step 7: Parachute Instructions
1. Take two small garbage bags and cut them open so they can lay out flat. The thinner the bag, the better.
2. Scotch tape the two together and cut them out into a large circle.
Step 8: Parachute Instructions
3. Place the tennis ball into the middle of the parachute.
4. Cut out twelve pieces of twine that reach from the tennis ball to about 25 cm outside of the parachute.
Step 9: Parachute Instructions
5. Using duct tape, tape one end of the twine to the tennis ball and the other end to the edge of the parachute.
6. Fold the parachute as nearly as small as possible and place the tennis ball-parachute combination inside of the large cylinder of the rocket.
Step 10: Concluding Instructions
7. Fill fourth water bottle with water
8. Have fun Mista!