Hello Maker Buddies,
Many times it happens when you are cleaning you house or room and you find something totally unexpected, it could be some forgotten money, may be some part of your machine or a tool or your cell phone charger. But have you ever found something which became an inspiration for a project? I did and I did it today only.
My room is usually organized but my corner shelves are messy (you know , all sorts of crafty stuff :)), so I decided to clean it and found a spring. Yup... spring while doing so, the one used in many types of tools, bikes etc.
When I was done cleaning I thought to rest for a while. Holding the spring in my hands, I lie down and started playing with it (mostly testing my finger strength to stretch it apart.. LOL).
What attracted me is the way it looked while I was holding it from one end. TaDA.....I knew I could make something interesting. Few days back I made this cluster earrings using buttons which later became inspiration for this project.
Let's see how create cluster earring using wire coils :)
The keyword is 'EASY' :)
Step 1: What All You Need to Create Cluster Earring Using Wire Coils
You will need:
- Some jewelry wire. How much you need depends on the thickness or length of the coil you choose to make.
- Flat nose jewelry plier.
- Diagonal wire cutter.
- Earring findings
- Some jump rings
- A hard object or metal rod for making coils, choose the one which suits the thickness of the coil you want to use.
All right lets play some coils :)
Step 2: Make Large Coil Using the Wire
We will create several small spring shaped beads using the coil, thats why we have to create a long coil first.
Start wrapping wire around the metal rod and make a long coil.
Take a guess of how many coil beads a single coil will yield.
I used my finger thickness to make a rough guess on how many beads I can create using a single coil.
Step 3: Creating Beads Using the Long Coils
See images above and follow:
Throughout this project, this is probably the only little tedious task.
- Pick up the wire cutter.
- Decide a length and hold the coil using wire cutter such that when you press the cutter it should create a gap in the coil.
- Cut the coil at the gap.
- Using the flat nose plier, pull the first ring of wire such that it sits perpendicular on the coil end. Make sure you hold the remaining coil firmly to avoid any gaps while you pull.
- Using the flat nose plier again, bend the wire on the other end inside the coil. This is really important, because wire is sharp cut and it may cause scratch on the skin.
- Repeat 1-5 to make 20 such beads .
Note: you can cut all beads first and then make a bead out of them, it is upto you.
Now that our tiny spring beads or coil beads are ready, it is time to create a cluster using them.
Step 4: Making a Cluster Using the Coil Beads
Making a cluster is very easy. See images above and follow:
- Insert a jump ring in the earring ring finding loop.
- In that jump ring, insert a bead using it's loop, then another jump ring and finally another bead. the order is important..
- In the jump ring added in previous step, insert a bead using it's loop, then another jump ring and finally another bead. the order is important.
- Repeat #3, three more times or till you reach the desired length off the cluster
- Don't insert jump ring in middle of the last pair of beads.
- Repeat 1-5 for another pair.
That's it :). You have just made a unique and awesome pair of cluster earring.
I believe this opens a great set of possibilities for jewelry using coils, what do you think? I would love to hear.
Thank you for your time to read this ible. Should you have questions or feedback, please share in the comments below.
If you choose to make it, please do share using the 'I made it' button.
If you like it, please share and vote.
You are awesome.
daisydaisysourcream made it!