Step 1: Getting Started
Step 2: Starting the Braid
*For this type of braid you are just taking sections and moving them back and forth. You can take as big or as small of sections as you want depending on the look you want. The bigger the strands, the chunkier the braid and the smaller the strands the smaller the braid.
- Separate your hair into two sections (red) and (yellow)
- Start by grabbing a small section (blue) of hair from the outside of the right section of hair (yellow).
- Bring that small section of hair (blue) over the top of the right section (yellow), bring it down between the two sections, and then add it to the inside of the left section (red).
- Repeat on the left side, taking a strand from the outside of the left section (green) and bringing it over to join the right section (yellow).
- At this point you have red and blue together, and green and yellow together.
Now just continue on over and over again until you get to the end!
I always grab from the outside of whatever hair section you are on and bring it to the inside of the other section. This ensures you aren't just grabbing the same strands and bringing them back and forth. If you do, those strands will get short way to fast. You want to evenly distribute which strands you are using.
Step 3: Continue Braiding
Continue braiding. You can keep the braid tight, like we did for the other fishtail braid, or keep it looser.
When you reach the end, tie it off with a hair band and you are done!
Step 4: Finished Basic Fishtail Braid
Isn't it cute!
Participated in the
Hair & Makeup Contest
alamtania made it!