How to Fix 100% Disk Usage for Windows 8.1




Introduction: How to Fix 100% Disk Usage for Windows 8.1

I'm a freelance web developer. I love to make websites, whether this is a normal site, a blog or ...

Like the title says, we're gonna try to fix the 100% disk usages problem in Windows 8.1.

I have looked at several different systems (Windows 7 and 8) that had the disk usage near 100%. The problem is that each one had a different solution so, it 's hard to say what the fix would be. But I can give you some ideas to help isolate the cause down.

The solution for the 100% disk usages we're gonna use works in Windows 7, 8, 8.1. I didn't test it on Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 10.

Step 1: Open the Task Manager

First we're gonna open the task manager and take a look at our disk usages. So as you can see it is now 100% and is slowing our computer down.

You can start task manager by right clicking on the Windows toolbar and selecting "start task manager". When task manager has oppend select the performance tab, open resource monitor, select disk tab

Step 2: Open Cmd.exe

So now that we know that our disk usages is too high we're gonna try to fix that. To fix the problem we're gonna use cmd to stop a Windows service that causes the 100% disk usages.

First open a cmd.exe as a administrator (windows key+x+a) or open it using the windows search function. Once you found it in your search results, right click on it and select "run as administrator"

Step 3: Execute the Cmd Commend

Now we have oppend our cmd.exe we can stop various suspected services and watch how the system responds in resouce monitor.

for example:
net.exe stop superfetch (hit enter and see if your disk usage goes down)

Step 4: Fixed!

So as you can see or disk usages is now 0%. Problem solved!

I hope it helped you fix the problem with your computer :) If there's anything you didn't understand or if it didn't work please let me know.
I would try to help you.

If you liked my tutorial please share it :) This is my first Instructables so don't be to hard.



  • Water Contest

    Water Contest
  • Metalworking Contest

    Metalworking Contest
  • Fix It! Contest

    Fix It! Contest

92 Discussions

Hi. I just wanted to say thanks :) apparently the "net.exe stop superfetch" command did the job for me. keep up the good work :)

Thank you this worked!

100% working. thanks mate!

found a solution from another website, it's simple:

From the Windows Menu, go to Settings, then go to System and then go to Notifications and Actions. Turn off "Show Me Tips About Windows". That's it. It takes maybe a minute or two to lower the disk usage and I would recommend ending any process in task manager that's making the disk usage go up in the meantime. Usage percentage should go down and stay around 1-2%.


Open up a run dialog by holding down the Windows Key and pressing R. In the "Open" field, enter "services.msc". Look for "Windows Search" and "Superfetch."

Go to each of these entries. Right click on one and select "Properties." In the dropdown box labeled "Startup type," choose Disabled. After leaving the properties window, press "Stop" in the upper left corner. Do this for both.

1 reply

hi bro. any advise for win10 ?

Thank you so much.

thanks a ton man... it worked..!!

Thanks it worked,+rep :D

This is what worked for me

1 reply

thank you paulO126 itried this too

OK, for anyone who tried disabling stuff like superfetch and BITS,
etc. (just like I had tried to, and it still didn't work.) Looks like
they've got it sorted now.
Some sort of feedback glitch in the
program where windows would constantly look for updates and clogg
everything up. So anyway, try this (*Warning* Set aside some time for
this, when I did it I ran the program and it then spent about 5 hours
updating and installing all (155) updates it hadn't been able to do
because of the bug.) -

Thank you. Do you have a list of service names to type in the CMD prompt? Looking them up will take hours with the Disk running at 100%...

Doesn't work for me. and suggestions from PaulO126 also don't work.

Maybe because I did it on Windows 10. Maybe because it specific box issue.

But in my case it worked when I stopped "Sync service" - ugly green icon, in System Tray.

Instantly!!! I love you man!!!

thank you guys for the help!

Just... wow. I had already previously stopped Superfetch in what was ultimately a vain attempt to fisk this, but your suggestion to stop the Print Spooler... my disk usage dropped INSTANTLY... @_@ Kudos, sir!

I have tried stopping Spooler and Superfetch. This helped me. Though it took sometime, the disk usage came from 100% to 1 or 2%.

Thanks much for the info.

that don't work for me :/