Disclaimer: Much of my work is an elaboration and compilation of other sources material as such I will post my resource links at the end of the Instructable.
(Health & Hygiene)
A Short History of Hair
Human Hair is naturally self-sustaining and will clean itself without use of shampoo or hair care products (same thing applies for toothpaste, though it whitens them) if taken care of correctly. The hair on our heads is called Terminal Hair because of both its definitive coarseness and maturity. This Instructable is in reference to Human Terminal hair on the head. Hair can and will clean itself after it has been weened off shampoo and conditioner...How else did people keep their hair clean in ancient societies?
A. You + Willpower
B. Hot Water (Not scolding)
C. Someplace to bathe or shower
D. Scalp Massaging Brush (Can be bought at Amazon or in some Health & Beauty stores)
E. Vinegar (To strip Hair of excess oils)
F. Regular Hair Brush
Step 1: 1. Forget the Shampoo and Conditioner
1. Getting rid of your "Shampoo Habit" is the first step to rejuvenating your natural hair oils as shampoo and conditioner strip your hair of the its essential oils which prevent a buildup of dirt, making your hair dry. When your hair tries to restore these oils, it overcompensates and makes your hair greasy leaving you uncomfortable.
This process seems counter-intuitive as "Shampoo" has become a way of modern life because it seemingly keeps your hair "clean". A sentiment that is projected by many family households as well as perpetuated by the USD $ 24 billion dollar skin care industry (USD $12 Billion in Hair Care,2004). Who see their projected market as "Baby boomers are still the core consumers, but the next generation in their 40s and beauty obsessed youth are also great potential customers for skin care industry.(Researchwikis.com)" Thus if there is a large sum of money in the picture, many of the "facts" could be in fact false.
Step 2: 2. Be Patient
Tip: In order to counteract gross amounts extra oil during this time period of re-balancing use vinegar or method below to strip a healthy amount of hair. Oil build-up makes your hair look drab, lose its luster, and can make it appear unclean! But you can remove it with ingredients from your cupboard, if you follow the instructions below.
* Keep your eyes closed when pouring on the ACV because it may sting your eyes (harmless otherwise)
A. Method 1:RECOMMENDED
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (also called ACV)
- 1 gallon of distilled water
2. Shampoo and rinse as usual.
3. Pour 2 cups over the scalp and let the mixture saturate your hair.
4. Finish up with a cold-water rinse.
5. Store any leftover mixture in a cabinet or the refrigerator and use it every couple of weeks to keep your hair squeaky clean.
B. Method 2:KIND OF RECOMMENDED
- Baking Soda
2. Apply the paste to hair thickly.
3. Leave the paste to soak for up to half an hour.
4. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
5. Pour any leftover mixture down a drain. It is environmentally friendly and safe, but only usable once.
C. Method 3:I WOULDN"T TRY IT FIRST
- Dish Detergent
2. Apply conditioner after shampooing hair.
3. This will keep your hair from feeling lifeless. It will increase body in your hair.
Step 3: 3. Continue to SHOWER!
Rinse your hair thoroughly.Use hot (not scalding) water to wash dirt and excess oil out of your hair, then cold water to make your hair smooth and shiny. Remember, this Instructable was made to promote a healthy hygiene and relinquish the benefits of living with self cleaning hair without giving up your healthy showering habits. DO NOT STOP SHOWERING JUST BECAUSE OF HAIR! Showering is a necessity to keep hair clean and your body free of dead skin and but shampoo products aren't!
Step 4: 4. Groom Thine Self....Brushing Specifically....
- You an obtain a Scalp Massage Brush @ Target, Amazon.com, etc. When all else fails, Google it!
Step 5: 5. Don't Be Self-conscious!
- If it gets really greasy during the third week, and people start to notice, just do a pony tail. Also make sure to pull back any bangs from your face. That way the attention will be on your face rather than your hair.
- Some environments make shampoo a necessity. Rethink your plans to stop shampooing if you work around deep fat fryers or a lot of smoke. Good LUCK!