Introduction: How to Install Spotify Onto Ubuntu/Debian/Linux
Spotify is all the rage now on Macs and PCs alike but Linux is not left out in the rain completely. So here is how to get Spotify on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux. First the Premium method.
Step 1: Two Methods
There are two ways to do this, one works with the free account and one is for Premium users only. To save time I have combined the two per step.
1. Okay first we need to add
“deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free”
1A. to do this without getting access denied errors type this into your terminal
“sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list”
And then scroll down to the bottom and add the text above (deb http://....)
3. after that has saved and you’ve check to see if its there (navigate to it via GUI and make sure to open it with Notepad, it will load a Menu if you just click it)
1. Okay open up "Ubuntu Software Center" (under Applications) and search for
Install the "Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (meta package)
Step 2: Step 2
2. now we need to key a download key to type this into your terminal:
“sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 4E9CFF4E”
2. Once installed go to Application>Wine>Configure Wine
Go into the "Audio" tab and check:
Then set "Hardware Accerlation: Emulation" then set the "Default Bits Per Sample" 16"
Step 3: Step 3
3. Once that goes finishes type
“sudo apt-get update”
3. Next download the latest version of Spotify and make sure to safe the file (some place easy to get to, i.e. Desktop)
3A. Now right click the "Spotify Installer" and choose:
"Open with Wine Windows Program Loader"
NOTE: If you get an error such as "Bloacked: wine star /unix" right click the file and go to "Properties" and then into the "Permission" tab and check "Allow executing files as program" this should clear it up.
Step 4: Step 4 - Finishing Up!
4. Now that that’s all done type this:
“sudo apt-get install spotify-client-qt”
4A. After that Spotify will be in your “Sound & Video” section of “Applications”
4. Now Spotify is installed!
Participated in the
Hack It! Challenge