Introduction: How to Make Bhakharvadi
This is a super awesome snack that is particularly popular in Gujarat and Maharashtra..
Let's learn how to make it!
Step 1: Ingredients
For stuffing: 3 raw (green) bananas, 250gm potatoes, Ginger-green chili paste, 2 spoons sesame seeds, 3 spoons sugar, 2 spoons lemon juice, 1 spoon Garam masala, Salt
For the dough: 150gm refined wheat flour (maida) 150gm whole wheat flour, oil, Salt
Step 2: Prepare the Stuffing
- Wash the potatoes and the bananas and put them in a pressure cooker to boil them. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can cook in a normal vessel too, just that it will take a bit longer.
- Once it is boiled and cooled down, take the skin off from the potatoes and the bananas and then crush them.
- Now add the ginger-chili paste, sesame seeds, garam masala, lemon juice, sugar and salt and mix it all. The stuffing is ready so keep it aside.
Step 3: Prepare the Dough
Time to prepare the dough. Take both the flours in a broad vessel and then add oil and salt. Then add water little by little and prepare a smooth but not too soft dough.
Step 4: The Trickiest Part
Now we prepare the Bhakharwadi from the dough and the filling.
- Take a lump from the dough and then roll it to a circle with a rolling pin.
- Now take some of the potato filling and spread it evenly on the rolled dough.
- Once it is spread well across the entire circle, roll it tightly from one of the ends until the opposite end.
Step 5: Time to Fry!
Once you have a roll ready, cut it with a knife to small circular pieces.
Now put oil in a frying pan and start to heat it.Once the oil is heated, add the Bhakharwadi one by one in batches.Once the crust is light brown, take it out from the pan.
Step 6: Yumm Yumm
Hurray, we made it. Bhakharwadi tastes great with the sweet chutney and also with the green chutney..
Guten appetite! =)