Intro: How to Make Hydrogen
I would also like to advise everyone to take safety precautions.
DANGEROUS THINGS ARE DANGEROUS you get it?
Throughout this article I will show you how to create, store and use your hydrogen.The hydrogen you will be making utilizes the hydrogen producing reaction between NaOH (SodiumHydroxide) and Al (Aluminum) in the presence of water. I will not go into the chemistry here, however, if you wish, Google will hold the answers.
Step 1: Materials
1. Drain Cleaning Crystals (Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH))
2. Aluminum Foil (1Meter or so will do)
3. A Beverage in a GLASS bottle
5. Ignition source
7. AND MOST OF ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT
In total all this cost me less than $15 dollars Australian.
Step 2: Preperation Step 1
Step 3: Preperation Step 2 - 3
Setting up the Reaction Chamber (filling the bottle)
1. Get yourself to a well ventilated area.
2. Get a bucket of water and grab some safety glasses if you wish.
3. Pour about two tablespoons of the Drain cleaner into the bottle depending
on the size of the bottle and strength of drain cleaner.
4.Get a reasonable length aluminum foil
5. Fold this foil into a long bar and force into bottle (don't worry if most of the foil is not touching the NaOH as it will eventually fall in. And If all the foil was at the bottom the reaction would be too vigorous )
Step 4: Starting the Reaction
2. Watch the reaction go.
The reaction takes a while to start however, within seconds the water will be almost boiling(this is an extremely exothermic reaction).If the reaction gets too hot most of the gas released will be Steam(which is pretty much useless).In order to slow the reaction tip water on the sizes of the bottle or place the bottle in a water bath.On the other hand if the reaction is to slow you may need to make sure that you add more aluminum and NaOH next time.I have also included a video of the reaction bubbling away for your interest.
Step 5: Collecting Your Hydrogen
balloon over the top of your bottle after pouring in the water.
If you do this right your balloon will be lighter than airhowever due to the steam produced in the vigorous reaction from the foil used you will get better results usingsolid aluminum.When your balloon looks full pull it off. &apos&apos&aposWEAR GLOVES &apos&apos&aposthen tie it off and now you have your own mini Hindenburg(Watch out though blowing up this balloon should be done at a safe distance and is really loud).
Step 6: Ok Your Pretty Much Done
However, if you want more fun you can always put more reactants into the chamber (bottle) and light the top.Depending on the rate of reaction and the amount of steam produced you shouldhave a self sustaining hydrogen lantern.This lasts about 10 minutes maximum.
tech_buzs made it!