Intro: How to Make a DIY Snow Globe
For secret Santa this year, team sugru all made each other presents that used sugru. Nassima made one of the best with this beautiful snow globe!
So here's our sugru take on the classic snow globe.
For this project you will need:
- 1 mason or jam jar (with lid)
- spray paint
- red and yellow paint pens
- water & glycerin
- some christmassy bits and bobs for decoration
(we've used our Tubby Lego sugru Santa and a bottle brush for the tree)
- x2 minipacks of white sugru
Step 1: Make the Tree
- We cut down a small bottle brush to create the basic shape of the tree.
- Spray painted it a nice shade of festive green.
- Then using red and yellow paint pens, we coloured the tips of the tree to look like baubles.
Step 2: Attach Your Christmassy Bits & Bobs
- Next use one minipack of white sugru to attach the bits in place to the lid of the jam jar.
- Use a third of the minipack to attach your Santa
- Use the remaining two thirds of the minipack to attach the tree.
TOP TIP - sugru will cure under the water! but it if you prefer you can leave it overnight at this stage to fully cure.
TOP TIP - make sure not to stick anything to close to the edge of the lid, as it will stop you being able to screw it shut
Step 3: Mixing the Liquid
- Fill the mason jar with warm water until almost full
- Add a dash of glycerin (it helps make the 'snow' fall slower)
- Add some glitter and stir carefully with a spoon
- Screw the lid shut tightly
Step 4: Sealing Your Snow Globe
TOP TIP - before applying sugru, wipe down the outside of the mason jar to make sure it's dry
- split a mini pack of sugru into two pieces and roll them out into two sausages - each piece should be half of diameter of the jar (it's easier to roll out two smaller pieces than create one long one)
- press the two pieces to seal the join between the lid and the jar
- smooth the sugru with your finger
TOP TIP - use a little soapy water to get a really smooth finish to your sugru
- Leave to cure for a full 24 hours before shaking up a blizzard!