Introduction: How to Make a Octohedron Platonic Solid or an Eight Sided D&D Die (dice)
Third in the Platonic Solids Instructables series.
This instructable will show you the pattern for making an Octohedron or D8 out of cardstock. Quick and easy this should take about 10-15 minutes.
Since we made our D4 at 8mm and D6 at 6mm we will make our D8 at 6.5mm. This should be a rough aproximation of the scale you would see D&D dice.
This is a slightly more complicated version of the Isohedron. We will start by making a base triangle just like the Isohedron, but will modify the body pattern.
Step 1: Materials
Materials you will need:
Cardstock or thick paper
Nail Polish Remover: Just incase you accidentally superglue your fingers.
Step 2: Making the Base Triangle
This is exactly like the Isohedron Base Triangle except were changing the size just a bit.
1. Turn the paper in a Landscape position.
2. Measure and mark 6.6cm and 3.3 cm from the left side on the top and bottom of the paper.
3.Connect the marks at top and bottom lightly.
4.Using the ruler measure 6.6 cm from the left hand corner on an angle until it touches the 3.3 cm mark.
5.Repeat the process from the other side. The marks should come to a point and make a perfect 8mm isosceles triangle
6.Double check the measurements and make sure all 3 sides are exactly 6.5cm.
7.Carefully cut the triangle out.
Step 3: Making the Body of the Octohedron
8. Flip the paper over.
9. Using the cut out triangle as a template draw four triangles next to one another. Two will point up two will point down.
10. On top of the last triangle draw another series of four triangles.
Step 4: Score the Sides
11. Cut out the series of triangles.
12. Score the lines on each triangle.
13.Hold a ruler over the scored lines and gently lift the corner, this will allow a nice crisp bend in the paper.
Step 5: Fasten the Sides
14. Cut a small rectangular scrap from the cardstock to make a tab to secure the sides together.
15. Bend the tab in the middle and apply a small bit of superglue to the tab.
16. Apply the tab wait a few seconds and then bend and glue the corresponding side up to the tab.
17. Apply at least one tab to each side and glue.
Step 6: Paint/Save Your Scraps
18. Paint, I used red for mine.
Now we have a D4 and a D6 and a D8.
The D10 is next. Save your Base Triangle from the Octohedron we will use it to make the D10!