This is my 2nd attempt to making a Darth Vader made out of Black fondant..
1st you need to buy black fondant.. you can by regular fondant.. and add coloring.. but you will end up wasting a lot of coloring and you will have to do a lot of mixing.. I learned my lesson and i just bought the pre mixed colored one..
Step 1: Make the Base Head and Grill
So my original intention was to use a pepakura template and just cut out sheets to make it fit.. However, my 1st attempt looked like crap.. mainly cause is a bit hard to glue parts back together .. so i end up learning from my 1st mistake and just used the pepakura model to understand the shape and to make bigger pieces..
i used this website.. is in japanese but you dont need to read it to understand the shapes
So anyways.. i 1st made a solid face shape.. kind of a bean like shape.. then extruded a big chunk of clay and made it in the shape of a triangle.. then with an exacto knife i cut the clay out and left just the edges .. and used the back of the exacto blade to give it a grill and those two lines around the grill..
Step 2: Cut Out the Mask
I then made a half mask.. as you can see i cut it with the exacto knife to give it a hard edge... then wrap it around the face... and did the same on the other side.. my middle strip on the forehead kinda blended in. so i made another forehead strip to ad a bit of a detail..
(i found out that is actually easier to make it symetrical when you cut out both sides of the mask at the same time.. by having two layers of fondant stacked on top of each other)
Step 3: Make the Other Half.. Make It Symmetrical
i moved around and cut stuff to make it symmetrical.. which is a pain.. use your exacto and your top of your nail to move stuff around.. i added some extra strips and blended the mask like shapes into the skull..
i found out that is actually easier to make it symetrical when you cut out both sides of the mask at the same time.. by having two layers of fondant stacked on top of each other
Step 4: Helmet and Neck Piece
now the helmet.. it was a very quick process and it was more intuitive.. i used a flattened ball and a couple of strips.. kinda shaped like in the paper model. i intentionally made it a bit longer.. so i would cut it and give it that hard edge at the bottom.. (it was too quick so i didnt take pics sorry)
then i made a neck. added a bit of detaill and lay the head on top of it.. cut a tin strip to add detail to the neck and the bottom of the neck part
this little project took me around 6 hours.. or more..
Finalist in the
Halloween Food Challenge