today i am showing you how to make a soldering iron from a 6v battery.
this is the easier way and the safest method ! it gets hot up-to 60 degree C in only 10 seconds.
here is the picture of it! i consist of two wires + and - .
the blue and yellow stuff is your soldering iron and the black wire is the negative terminal.
it's whole cost is only 6 or 7 dollars depending on the cost of battery! and if you have a 6 or more volts battery then the expense will be reduced to only 4 dollars or 20 indian rupees! it's very very affordable!
Step 1: Stuff You Need
The stuff you will need is very cheap and easily available at any corner shop!
1. A Pencil. ( a common HB pencil. you have to remove it's wooden casing and take out a long graphite from it. )
2. A sketch pen . ( cut it half )
3. An hollow iron tube . ( the iron tube should be selected in a manner that the graphite lead can be easily inserted and can hold it tightly. )
4. Two long wires ( you can increase or decrease it's length as per your need or availability. And the wire slould be thick enough 0.75mm so that it can hold the current passing from it.)
5. a 6 or 12 volt battery ( a 6 volts battery is good enough to make this but don't use any direct power supply it will decrease it's performance. )
6 . A good quality paper. ( don't use a magazine paper use a simple rough and good quality paper like a times news paper. )
5. tools pliers , tapes ( it's good to use a head resistant tape. ) , a pair scissors.
Caution : Don't dare in your dreams to connect it from a common household 220volts ac or dc supply. if you will try to do this i am not responsible for your death!
Step 2: Making the Soldering Iron's Positive Terminal This Will Become Hot While Soldering!
1. Take the iron rod and make a dent between it so that the lead gets a base. do it as shown in the photo! no : 01.
2. Now attach a long wire with the iron rod the cover the iron rod with a paper and tape it. as shown in fig no : 02. part 1 and part 2.
( note: the paper is used in order to protect the tape from burning cause the iron rod get's very hot when soldering . and paper is very bad conductor of heat. (it's insulator) ).
3. Now take the sketch body and insert the whole thing you have made in it . as shown in fig . 3 part 1 & part 2. ( it's the casing. )
( you may need to cut the wire like in fig 3 part 2. to insert the stuff in the casing. )
4. Now your solder is ready. just connect the wire coming out from the solder to the positive side of the battery. (you can use capacitors for better performance.)
5. so, now you will be confused about the negative terminal. i may tell that the negative terminal is also used. just attach a long wire to the negative terminal then touch the neg. terminal coming out from the battery to the graphite of the positive terminal and the lead will start getting hot you will see some smoke coming out from the lead when you use it first time. after one time it will not be again repeated with the same lead you can also change the lead time to time for better performance.
(NOTE: DO NOT TRY TO TOUCH THE NEG. TERMINAL TO THE IRON ROD IN THE POSITIVE TERMINAL IF YOU WILL DO IT FOR LONG DURATION ( 1MIN OR MORE TIME. )THE BATTERY WILL BLOW UP. )
6. THIS SOLDERING IRON CAN BE USED BY ONLY TOUCHING the the lead with the neg. terminal.
7. now your soldering iron is ready in a cheap manner.
8.you can see the whole setup's picture in fig 4. part1 and 2
-----------------------------------------------------AUTHOR TIPS -------------------------------------------------------
THE lead becomes hot on passing electricity cause the lead between the terminal is a semiconducter (graphite).
It get's hot in only 10 - 20 seconds. (depending on the charge of the battery)
You can use a heat resistant tape for better heat protection.
it's so easy cause i (a 14 years old child can make it.).
for any type of help on this topic or another you can mail me at "firstname.lastname@example.org"
or just comment.
Thanks for reading.
Step 3: The Finished Product
Here's the image of the complete soldering iron!