This tutorial only covers the making of the tracks, a tutorial for the whole tank might come sometime in the future.
Step 1: Materials
- Bike chains, two bike chain per tank track, you can buy only two and cut them in half with a chain breaker that's what I did.
Each chain was 3€ at the mall, no need for quality shimano or sram chains or anything, cheap ones will do.
- PVC tube, I used 12mm diameter but thicker is good, definitely NOT thinner, that was 1€ for 3meters(I really want to replace the PVC with Al soon)
- Screws and self tightening bolts(the ones with a bit of rubber inside) and screws, my chain fitted M3 screws nicely in the thickest links.
Quantities will depend on how big you want it, count your chain links.
- X-acto knife.
- strong scissors(optional, easier than the knife, but results aren't so good).
- dremel with 3mm drill bit.
Step 2: Get Buildin'!
Cut tube in segments slightly bigger than the wheel you will mount the on, and cut those segments in half with knife or scissors.
Step 3: Drill
Drill both ends of the tube halves with the 3mm drill bit, Insert screw in chain's thickest type of link, and tighten self tightening bolt.
Do the same for the other screw.
Step 4: Keep Tightening... and Oh, You're Done!
Consider upgrading to metal instead of PVC.
Example on my current project: