Im not sure why Im posting this except for the fact that I remember the good old days of dialpad and others before the technology crash of the early 2000s. It used to be the coolest thing in the world to make free long distance calls from any computer to any phone. Skype came along and besides taking up lots of bandwidth and being an Ebay company, Ill admit they do a really good job of providing reliable services at reasonable cost.
Step 1: Why Would You Ever Need to Use Skype for Free?
1. Like me, you dont have a cell phone or a landline. You dont care that other people cant get ahold of you but on occasion you have to make a phone call. (Just so that people dont think Im really wacky, my wife owns a cell phone and is on a family plan with her family. The inconvenience arises whenever Im not with her or else want to call her specifically when she is away.)
2. Youre out of minutes on your cell phone but you see a deal on craigslist that you cant pass up. Is it worth the extra charges to use your phone?
3. Prank phone calls are funny, everyone knows that and the easiest way to record them would be to make a call from a computer.
4. You dont mind paying for what you use but Skypes $10 minimum to purchase minutes seems exorbitant when you only want to communicate a quick message.
5. You like getting something for nothing.
Step 2: 1-800-UR-Awesome
This little trick works on the premise that Skype is nice enough to allow you free 1-800 numbers. I imagine they allow 1-877 and 1-888 as well. It's just that simple.
Step 3: Make Your Call
The Phad call has a 10-minute limit so you might have to call several times if you're trying to have a special conversation with your significant other but you can do that, right?
The voice prompt asks for 10 digits but I found that adding a 1 at the beginning helped connect to my wife's cell phone.
As a bonus, I only have done this a couple of times but Phad's business model is to make you listen to an advertisement. I don't know why but the times I have used it there is no such ad.
Step 4: Pat Yourself on the Back
You just got something for nothing.