Welcome to the instructables on how to make glow in the dark punch for Halloween! By following these simple instructions, you can be serving a delicious drink to your guests, that eerily glows, while still being completely safe.This punch recipe gets its luminescence from the quinine in the tonic water, which naturally glows blue when exposed to UV light. The time it takes to complete this punch depends on your choice to have frozen ice cubes hands or not. You will have to let tonic water freeze which takes about 4 to 5 hours. Without the ice cubes, it takes approximately 20 minutes to make the punch. This can be completed by one person. This delicious halloween drink that serves 10-20 people can be made all for about 10-15 dollars. Ages 10 and up.
- Be careful with the knife when removing the ice from the glove (children should be supervised for step 4).
- Watch out when opening tonic water, it can be very fizzy and will spray everywhere if opened too fast.
The ingredients that you will be needing:
3 1L bottles of tonic water
2L of water
2L bottle of sierra mist
2 packets of powdered propel drink.
1 packet of crystal light
1 large bowl or cooler
1 serving spoon
For the floating hand in the punch(optional):
1 baking tray
1 powder-free glove
1 1/2 cups of flat tonic water
1 sharp knife
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: (Optional: Skip to Step 4 to Continue Without a Frozen Hand)
-Prepare a baking tray to put your frozen hand into.
-Fill the glove with 1 1/2 cups of tonic water.
-Remove all the air out of the glove if possible and tie it off with a rubber band.
Step 2: Freezing the Hand
Take the tray with the glove on it and leave in the freezer for 4 to 5 hours.
Step 3: Removing the Frozen Tonic Water
- After 4 to 5 hours have passed, remove the frozen glove from the freezer.
- Carefully remove the glove from the ice by cutting away the vinyl from the hand. (Further instructions for the frozen hand continued on step 8)
Step 4: Measuring the Ingredients
Measure out in measuring bowls:
2L of tonic water (the bottles come in 1L containers, there is no need to measure these)
2L of water
1L of sierra mist
1 packet of powdered crystal light
2 packets of powdered propel zero
Step 5: Dry Ingredients
Empty all of the packets of powdered drinks into your serving bowl.
Step 6: Wet Ingredients
Add all of the measured liquids should be emptied carefully into the serving bowl.
Step 7: Mix
Mix all the ingredients in the serving bowl together!
Step 8: Frozen Hand in the Bowl
- Continuing from step 3, take your frozen tonic water hand and drop it into the serving bowl.
- If you choose not to make frozen hand continue to the final step!
Step 9: Serving Your Punch to the Guests
- Chill the punch in the refrigerator until cold.
- Place under a well lit black light to receive the full glowing effect!
Participated in the
Make It Glow Contest