Introduction: How to Memorize the Resistor Color Code
How to memorize the Resistor Color Code
The reason I came up with this is because in High School and in College they taught us the same offensive phrase, bad boys, etc, but Violet gives willingly. Although this is easy to memorize, it didn't make it easy to remember a color for a number without having to think of the entire sentence. If you memorize each picture association I have provided, you will remember the colors for the numbers.
These are what work for me based on objects that first popped into my head. You should choose objects that are easiest to remember based on your mind and what you first think of.
The trick to making them stick is to make them as ridiculous as you can think of. Or link them to things you like.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: 0. a Black Olive in the Shape of a "0"
0. Think of a black olive. Think of a really big black olive that is about to run you over and squish you. The shape is a 0 and the color is black.
Step 2: 1. Brown Bear Poopin
1. Does a bear poop in the woods?
It sure does!!
What color is the bear?
There is one bear and it's brown.
In my mind I actually picture the Charmin bear holding the toilet paper roll. You can also picture what's coming out of the bear as the shape of the number 1. Yum-Bo!
Step 3: 2 Red Cherries
2. Think of cherries. How many are usually on a stem? 2. What color are they? Red
Step 4: 3. Juggling 3 Oranges
3. Think of 3 oranges. You are juggling 3 oranges. They are dripping all over you as you juggle. There are 3 and the color is orange.
Step 5: 4. Made of Bananas
4. Draw a 4 using 4 bananas. A 4 is in four segments and you use 4 yellow bananas to make the shape. You designed a 4 using yellow bananas.
Step 6: 5. Green Marajuana 5 Leaves
5. Think of a marijuana plant. There are (pretend) only 5 leaves on a marijuana plant.
The color is green.
You can also picture yourself getting totally stoned and looking at your hand and your 5 leaf fingers looks like a marijuana plant ,I guess.
Step 7: 6. Blue Angels in Formation
This is my favorite because I grew up in California and would watch the Blue Angels airs show at El Toro Marine base. When the Blue Angels fly in formation, there are 6 of them.
Guess what color?
Step 8: 7. Viole(n)t 7
7. The shape of a 7 also resembles an axe. Picture a very violent(violet) bloody axe. The shape is 7 and bloody viole(n)t
Step 9: 8. Eight Is Greight! It's Going to Eat You and It's Grey!
8. Eight is Greight! You can picture a grey eight. He's trying to eat you.
Isn't that Greight?
Step 10: 9. Rescue Me! My White Ninght in Shining Armour!
9. All the girls want a white knight in shining armour to rescue them from the high tower. Picture a white 9 (ninght) riding in on a horse and rescuing you.
Step 11: Finished
As I stated before, they work for me. It was the first thing I thought of and so it sticks in my brain.
Share some of your ideas.
I taught this to my boys in 3 minutes and then handed them resistors. They could identify all of them with never learning about black bears running over green grass or about Violet the poor girl.