This is my first instructable, so plz don't get upset if it isn't "great". This will show you how to power up your Mav and also silence* it.
* You really can't completely silence a Nerf gun, but this comes pretty close.
Step 1: Supplies
What You Need
1. A Nerf Maverick gun
2. A small Phillips- head screwdriver
3. Wire cutters (a small wrench will work too)
4. 3/8" Felt pads (used for moving furniture, can be found at Walmart or any hardware store)
5. A pair of scissors (not in picture, sorry)
6. 15- 20 minutes for both silencing and powering up the gun
Step 2: Disassembly
Next, you need to disassemble your gun. Take the three screws out of the cocking mechanism and put this piece off to the side for later. BE SURE TO LEAVE THE OTHER SIDE ATTACHED TO THE GUN! There will be eight screws on the gun itself that you need to take out. Finally, you need to carefully separate the two halves of the gun.
Step 3: Barrel Removal
First we will power up the gun. Pull back on the orange ring as shown in the picture. This will allow you to pull the whole barrel out of the gun without too much trouble. You can release the ring once the barrel has been removed.
Step 4: Power Up the Mav
To power up the gun, you need to take the restrictors out of the barrel. Here is how you do this.
1. Pry the small orange ring off the orange side of the barrel with the wire cutters (or pliers).
2. Pull the entire rod out of the barrel.
3. There will be three screws on the black side of the barrel. Unscrew them and remove the end of the barrel.
4. Pull out the rod- looking things. Underneath them will be three-pinned restrictors and springs. Remove these and put the rod thingies back.
5. Screw the barrel back together and push the rod back through.
6. Use a hammer or mallet ( or just sheer force) to replace the orange ring on thr end of the rod. This may sound weird, but putting some saliva in the ring will make it go on easier.
7. Finally, reinsert the barrel the same way you took it out of the gun.
Step 5: Silence the Gun
Your gun is now powered up! Now we will silence it. You will need about ten of the felt pads and the scissors.
1. Insert two pads into each side of the cocking mech. (as shown)
2. Stick 1/2 of a pad onto the pump where it touches the metal rod (as shown)
3. Place about three pads behind the large spring (as shown)
4. Cut a small piece of pad to place onto the trigger mount (as shown)
Step 6: Reassembly
Now you need to reassemble your gun. Make sure everything is in its correct place and place the two gun halves together. Insert all the screws and reattach the cocking mech. If you have done everything correctly, you will have a more powerful, more quiet gun. Happy Nerfing!